Slamming my car, AKL

Aaron

Ah, right. the initial comment re $600 did not make this clear. At least, not to me.

Thanks for info re cut springs. Going to make frowny faces at Chris and his mx83 in a justified manner now. I have torsion bars/leafies, yay me.

Theres 'nothing' wrong with cut springs, but in a KP they become uncaptive quite quickly so you need to get new shocks anyway and for it to be legal you have to cert it to so it's cheaper to do it properly than taking a 'short cut' (if you wanna keep it legal)

Don't get me wrong, my first KP had cut springs, hence me knowing about how uncaptive they were. Lost a rear spring on more than 1 occasion while going for a hoon... which wasn't as much fun as you might think.

I'm sorry for wanting to keep my car legal :/

Get pulled over once and it has paid for itself so seems like a reasonable thing to spend your $$ on

i have proper springs on the front, it ain't legal

my first KP had cut springs, hence me knowing about how uncaptive they were. Lost a rear spring on more than 1 occasion while going for a hoon... which wasn't as much fun as you might think.

Were you hooning around a motorcross track by any chance? lol at them just falling out

No, once was going over a speed bump a little faster than appropriate (still not stupid fast) and it fell off the seat. Was still in there, barely though, so it was another 1.5" lower

The way suspension Springs are engineered at the factory is to take the weight of the vehicle, plus passengers and luggage over the available suspension travel. So for eg lets say 2tonne over 200mm factory. If you chop the springs you are effectively reducing the weight those springs can handle and also making it a shorter distance. This causes premature suspension component failure and extremely poor handling. As far as I know chopped springs are illegal because of this even if theyre still captive. If you wanna slam your car it costs about $100 to get your existing springs compressed. By compressing the springs your car will still be capable of handling the correct weight etc and will handle a lot more nicely. You will almost certainly need shortened shocks aswell.

At the end of the day you do what you want to do. Its just good to make your decision based on fact.

bzzzzt.

Sorry mate but that is not true.

By compressing the spring you end up with a low car that has the same spring rate as factory, while this is fine for standard height you now have less travel available (beacuse you compressed the springs) but its still as wallowy as stock so be prepared to hit bump stops in erry corner.

Balls.

By cutting the spring the spring rate actually increases in line with the following formula.

spring_rate_equation.png

n = Number of active coils

ie. as the active coils decreases (you remove tehm with a grinder) the spring rate increases.

Welcome to OS

EDIT: way better

I stand corrected. I read that in an article in nzpc a few years ago.

NZPC has come a long way in recent years, but I'd still not believe any technical article written in it, or any other "tuning" magazine published in this country.

Welcome to oldschool.co.nz, if you hang around here you will learn a lot. Especially with an attitude like you have where you are willing to admit you're wrong and are open to learn.

Now as far as the rest of this thread goes, we don't need to go into the cut/compressed/aftermarket spring debate yet again do we?