clutch problems- super minx

dave123456789

Hey guys, for quite a while have had problems with it not wanting to go into gear when you leave the car sitting for a while then it will randomly work and you can shift smoothly and drive off.

I replaced the clutch hard line and have rebuilt the clutch master cylinder as both of those were pretty stuffed. bled it all up and now even when I have a mint firm pedal it still does not want to go into gear when left sitting for a while and you have to sit there while its idling untill it will randomly let you.

what causes this? its not really a problem yet its just more of a pain in the ass

sometimes the clutch plate rusts onto the flywheel - especially after a bit of rain. this means that when you put your foot on the clutch, you are releasing the pressure from the pressure plate but the driveline remains engaged. other than regular driving or only driving only on dry days there isn't a lot you can do - unless there is an inspection plate missing on the bellhousing? is the vehicle stored in a dry area out of the rain?

sometimes the clutch plate rusts onto the flywheel - especially after a bit of rain. this means that when you put your foot on the clutch, you are releasing the pressure from the pressure plate but the driveline remains engaged. other than regular driving or only driving only on dry days there isn't a lot you can do - unless there is an inspection plate missing on the bellhousing? is the vehicle stored in a dry area out of the rain?

That could be it, car is stored outside in the rain etc so its a possibility. Does not apear to be any inspection plate missing but you can see part of the flywheel, maybe this use to be blocked? Cant see how anything screws down there though.

I'll just put up with it untill it permanently stops working then rip the box off.

how olds the clutch? if its been replaced the flywheel may not have been machined with the correct step.

OR

if the rear main leaks, which is pretty common, the clutch may not be engaging properly and it doesnt want to go into gear at that/any rpm until that oil has burned away by driving.

has the slave been replaced or recoed?

clutches can be fiddly bitches at times, im on my 3rd different sized release bearing just to get the correct amount of freeplay

how olds the clutch? if its been replaced the flywheel may not have been machined with the correct step.

OR

if the rear main leaks, which is pretty common, the clutch may not be engaging properly and it doesnt want to go into gear at that/any rpm until that oil has burned away by driving.

has the slave been replaced or recoed?

clutches can be fiddly bitches at times, im on my 3rd different sized release bearing just to get the correct amount of freeplay

No idea on clutch age but I would estimate it as old. Possibly 10-20years? if it has been replaced. Possibly even original from '65 if otherwise.

Engine doesnt leak any oil at all which is strange for a british car. You can not drive the car till it lets you select first so dont think it has anything to do with that. You just sit there idling sometimes pumping the clutch (which i dont think does anything to help) then randomly it will let you into first and your off.

Salve looks like it has been there for a long long time.

Went for a drive tonight and it selected gear straight away so didnt need to wait. Barely does that so will find out soon if its just luck or replacing the master did anything.

fair enough, i would suspect slave next if not. sounds like your on the right track anyway with the hydraulics.

Was going to head to the dairy for some milk but car was being a cunt again.

I will save pennies and rebuild the slave at some point. If that doesnt fix it then it must be clutch so i'll drive like a rapist and replace that in a few months.

fair enough, i would suspect slave next if not. sounds like your on the right track anyway with the hydraulics.

had similar issues with my mini... normally as this is the lowes point any moisture in the fluid will end up down in there, my slave was all crudded up inside, I hacked into it with some scotchbrite and a chucked in a couple of new seals and it's good as gold.. about 80c worth of parts.

Luckily as my car runs a straight cut box the clutch pedal use is optional, even for starting off if it'll select 1st if you are quick enough.. 8)

What happens when you try to start the car with it in gear but the clutch pushed in?

Starts up no problem at all. I have not noticed it trying to drive itself but will double check next time it happens. If it is trying to drive around with the clutch pushed right to the floor its definitely not something i have picked up on.

Will look out for it.

yeah if its clutch plate sticking like someone suggested, start car in gear with foot off the clutch pedal (car will start moving due to starter motor, clearly) then jab the clutch a few times and it should start working straight away. All your pretty much doing there is jarring the plate from being seized to the flywheel,

yeah if its clutch plate sticking like someone suggested, start car in gear with foot off the clutch pedal (car will start moving due to starter motor, clearly) then jab the clutch a few times and it should start working straight away. All your pretty much doing there is jarring the plate from being seized to the flywheel,

Just tried to test it out but clutch isnt sticking today, which is good but annoying for testing purposes. I will try next time is being a bastard.

If it is the clutch plate only way to fix it is remove the box and then replaced clutch etc?

A good slip of the clutch should scuff it up enough.. Try going up a reasonable hill in 2nd with 3/4 throttle and slip the clutch enough that you still keep momentum but don't gain any speed for about 5-10 seconds.

Would give that a go before pulling the box out..