making basic piston rings

Steelies

cheers KK i'll give them a bell

yep, got some iron from engine guy, just wondering if anone can give pros and cons on thermal setting a finished bore-size ring vs. making oversize and remachining in compressed state..

fuck yeah hope i can buy them in nz

he went through all his options and told me sorry nah. i've still got the originals (fit like a cock in a sock) for backup, time to get macguyver on this shit

if theyre not broken, that link recokned you can heat them up toe respring them.

who would have thought of manu ever need more spring?

^tempting. however - aiming to run before nats, dont have/want credit card, spent enough already!

haha spring gag

mentioned resetting the originals to mr engine guy and he was all nah on it. i have just enough material to make 4 blanks if i'm crafty, gonna give it a shot. pales in comparison to the crazy ghetto setup i need to build for putting internal oil grooves in the main bearings!

Johnson Piston Rings in Penrose will make you some if you send them the data

I literally had a new ring for my Fronte motor turn up from this crowd today. They have been bought up by Franklin Engineering Services in Pukekohe now though. It cost me $50 for 1 ring for a 58mm bore piston. He said it would only be another $20 to get three instead of one. Theyre a really good crowd to deal with.

Even if you are still going to make your own I would suggest giving these guys a call and asking about their machining and finishing process for interests sake. He told me and it went in one ear and out the other...

there is a geeza by the name of dion here in whangaparaoa he gets his rocks on anything old hes a damn fine engineer/gc/collector of old bits and i know he bought a huge bulk lot of rings when some company closed many many moons ago he most likely has what u need. if you need.