alternator cooked?

Beaver

battery was flat on the triumph after a few days away (previous seller warned me about this, as one of the gauge backlights stays on).

so jumped it sweet, took a few drives to get it to charge back up (carried a spare battery to jump it haha).

seems to be fine now, but the voltages are worrying me.

voltage with car off = 11.24V

voltage with car idling = 11.28V

voltage with car revving (approx 3-4000rpm) = 12.1V

so would this mean the alternator is shot? or is it possible the battery went kaput when it went flat. or is there somethign else I should be lookign at? car started fine today so it has defiantly charged since being flat (was around 5V when it wouldnt start).

little not that I have unplugged the power feed the the gauge that would stay backlit and tapped it off, so I cant imagine this would have any effect on the charging? was just the clock. cbf'd pulling the dash back out to plug it back in to double check its not changing anything

First thing is to take the battery out and get it properly trickle charged - then try again.. It can make a massive difference..

Also the light on the dash is what energises the alternator field and gets it charging - it needs that light..

the charge light on the cash (IGN in this case) still works and is on when ign is on and goes away once car is running. will occasionally flash when revs drop real low. the only feed i removed was to the clock

have you got a charger KK?

whats the voltage across the battery connections when the car is running and you take the battery out? is the charge light still on when you run it without battery?

(start it and take the battery out, disconnect the ground first! And dont let the positive lead short out! (Wrap if in something at least))

def not 14, 13.5 at max, pull the thing apart, The old Lucas ones are eazy as to get the back off to inspect brushes, ten bucks says its running on one or the remains of the brushes.

Have spares here if you need it, also fix your fuel leak by cranking it up g

pulled it to bits/looked at brushes and they looked fine. plenty of meat left and no signs of wearing through to the copper wires.

am out of town wednesday but cheers for the offer. will just keep an eye on things and see what happens

Sounds about right.

Did you take the battery down to get charged?

So many issues caused by half flat batteries. You may find the alternator is poked too but a battery charge is a cheap quick check compared to overhauling the alternator.