brakefluid dot3/ dot4

felixx

Have used/tasted/had all of them in my eye so can confirm for you. Spent ages playing with different fluids and pad compounds on the wagon trying to get my lap times up so schooled up on what mixes and what doesnt.

You tried the Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads?

The RC6 pads (u = 0.5) i've got matched with the RBF660 was epic at Hampton for the 53 laps i did there.

With the more race orientated fluids they tend to be more hygroscopic (absorbs water faster) and need to be flushed out more often.

Wet Boiling Point = The minimum temperatures that brake fluids will begin to boil when the brake system contains 3% water by volume of the system. (30ml on most cars)

RBF600 has a life of 6-9 months roughly before it reaches that 3% typically.

Also might be worth checking if you have any magnesium parts parts in your brakes as a bunch of the top fluids are now saying things like: "Bembo LCF 600+ must not be used in Brake Systems containing magnesium parts."

I used Hawk HP last time and they were the best pads ive ever used, could not get fade in them. I dont really have the pockets for buying big money brake pads anymore so stick with Ferrodo TS2000. I do however still 'splash out' on Znoelli slotted rotors since they seem to be a very good quality product.

and the silicon stuff is ok in OS cars?

I wouldnt, its really only designed for race cars where the fluid is going to be changed very often. It doesnt absorb moisture at all so you can end up with a pockets of water through your brake system. New school cars cant use it due to ABS pumps packing a sad with the stuff.

So, DOT4 for 99% of people and cars since they are backwards compatible. If you want a bit more performance, get a higher rated DOT4 like RBF660. DOT5.1 was a waste of time.