Lancer EX 1600cc Engine, drivetrain and Dash into 1200cc

Scrubb

Hi guys.

I'm bidding on a 1200cc Lancer EX on Trademe, and my plan was to change all my bits (engine, gearbox/drivetrain, dash etc) from my crashed 1600 into the 1200, but I have just realised the wiring may be different so I can't use my old dash.

Changing the wiring loom sounds like a huge job. I don't know. I've never needed to deal with the loom before. Is this required and how easy is it to do? If you know any more issues I may need to be aware of please let me know.

Should I try and get my bid cancelled and look for a 1600 car instead or should it be fairly easy to achieve this?

Thanks

Stephan

to put the 1600 in the 1200 you will have to bolt the engine x member in as the mounts are different, but since you allready have it its a easy job, unsure of the dash wiring side of things but id say from when i had my 1600 gsl ex it had all the gauges in it, so id say youd have to swap looms as the 1200 wont have the extra gauges the 1600 has

on the pluys side if you end up doing it and swap the 1600 into it you can then from there go up to the 2 litre 4g63 which will bolt onto the 1600 xmember

OK, so when I change the dash cluster and clock from my 1600 donor to the 1200 It's just a matter of unplugging and swapping the looms? I was under the impression I would have to replace the wiring throughout the car and splice a million wires which would make the purchase not really worth it for me. Probably better off finding another 1600cc car in that case?

This info so far is very helpful, thanks.

to put the 1600 in the 1200 you will have to bolt the engine x member in as the mounts are different

That's funy, when i bought a 1600 engine for my 1200cc's of pure fury lancer years ago it was just a straight drop onto the crossmember. Do the 1600's use different mounts between the models?? At that stage it didn't appear that way and was straight bolt in and play. also used a 5 speed celeste gearbox

Are we talking about the Lancer EX or the earlier shape Lancer? The Lancer EX 1200 has the 4G11 with the offset mounts while the earlier Lancer has the 4G36 1200cc which is basically a smaller bore/stroke version of the 4G32 1600cc. Some Jap import model Lancer EXs came with the 4G31 1500cc engine also.

For the dash wiring there is a section that you can remove that unplugs at about the drivers side headlight and you can then pull it inside. then there is about 10-15 plugs under the dash to unplug as it splits off to various parts of the car. It's not a very big bit of loom and it will have the different dash plugs ya need and the clock if ya didnt have one before. I just pulled it out of the ex I'm wrecking to put in my good ex which was once a 4g11

Pretty confident it was an nz new 1600, definitely pulled alot better with the new engine in it. We're talking a few years ago now so may have got my wires crossed. Just struggling to think what i'd done if it was a straight bolt in or if i did change the mounts and bolted up.

the 4G11 mounts on the crossmember are literally offset and are on opposing sides of the crossmember while the 4G32 has the mounts parallel to each other. There's no way the 4G11 engine mount brackets would have attached to the 4G32 block either. Either would have been custom mounts (what tank did to put his 4G63 into 1200cc EX) or 1600cc crossmember.

Having the same issue with the EX I bought. It was factory 1200 4g11 but previous owner had fitted 1600 4g32 and not fitted a 4g32 crossmember so engine mount on passenger side doesnt line up. Im still waiting for someone on here to hook me up with a 4g32 crossmember.