any subaru gurus on here?

shizzl

our gtb has an issue with the heater..

its not working.

the a/c works mint, its just not throwing out any heat..

i have no idea how these modern systems operate..

has anyone had any experience with these that can throw me some pointers?

ive been told they dont have a heater tap like an oldschool car,so im lost,dont wanna rip the dash out yet as its my daily.

pretty much all cars have a eater tap of some sort, yours is proly vacuum operated rather than cable? a lot of later model stuff is. check vacuum lines to the tap etc. also , how well maintained is the car? if the anti freeze/ coolant has been neglected it may need a a flush gun run thru it to flush sediment out of the radiator/ heater core.

doesnt get hot what so ever... the needle sits dead on half way which all my subys have done..

i managed to check it out during lunch...when i change the temp on the controller i can see the actuators moving the tap/vent or what ever on the base of the heater box.

so ill try and flush the heater core and see if that helps..

its done about 5000kms since the entire front of the motor was replaced including all coolant hoses,thermostat,coolant,water pump,timing shit etc etc...

No heater tap on these, just a flap under the dash to direct incoming air through the core.

The coolant comes out of the crossover pipe which runs along the top of the block, runs through the heater core and returns to the thermostat housing via another metal pipe that runs from the back of the block to the front.

Its common for these pipes to rust out so people just block off the circuit altogether. First see if the hoses that go through the firewall are hot with the engine running. If they are, the problem lies with your ducts under the dash.

If your car has the electronic climate control - then you need to flip it into diagnostic mode and see what happens, or just try and find the right actuator under the passenger footwell and see if it operates. You may be seeing the vent actuators moving when you turn the dial from hot to cold - thats normal and theyre easiest to see in the drivers footwell but arent the actuators you want to check.

Depends on the year, if its 98-2003 then turn the ignition off, hold down recirc/fresh button and auto button while turning the ignition back on. Everything on the display should flash 4 times. Then it will check each sensor and display an error code if one is found, if it doesnt find one - it flashes 20 then press the defrost button and it will move on to testing the actuators.

Report back how you get on.