hilux diff modifaction and other engineering- christchurch

corey_jorg

as soon as i get my hatch back from the panelbeater my hilux diff will be needing some work.

currently has modified disks-made smaller, running green brothers adaptors with bluebird u13sss calipers. all is ment to slot together and fit beneath a 13inch rim but is a shay tight.

so this will need to be sorted.

next is that i havent fitted my diff and custom rims into the hatch before (have with other wheels) so it may need to be shortened, and i would like this done properly by re-splining, not cut and weld as is going to have abit of power going through this.

so who is the best in town to sort this and do it for cash? ive used circle track before, they actualy did it the first time but it took 3 months of pestering and its not done exactly "right" so wont be using them again.

will also be other lil things including making an adjustable sway bar for the diff and a couple other lil things.

any help would be awesome.

cheers corey

Hilux diffs are hard to respline as extra meat is usually needed before doing the splining. I used to have a mustang diff which had had 500hp through it for 5years and it just had welded axles.

Whatd it cost ya last time to respline?

3 months of pestering is a general cash job isnt it lol

Gaz

Gaz

Hilux diffs are hard to respline as extra meat is usually needed before doing the splining. I used to have a mustang diff which had had 500hp through it for 5years and it just had welded axles.

Whatd it cost ya last time to respline?

3 months of pestering is a general cash job isnt it lol

Gaz

Gaz

havent had a diff resplined before, just remember an old joker in nelson telling me never to cut and weld a diff as he has had problems in his starlet rally cars with them breaking.

yea im starting to get sick of cash jobs lol, some people jump at it but some people just forget about it. my hatch has been at the panelbeaters since april-ish last year and been moved to 3 different workshops with the company. and another piece has been with a joker since dec 09 so ended up buying a mint part rather than getting him to finish "minting" mine.

Just a thought here...

If you are getting it shortened by a lot then maybe shop around for longer axles that way they have meat on them where it counts, there are a few different lengths and vehicles, my diff is made from 3 different vehicles, Hiace, Hi-Lux and Supra.

If its only a small amount then many people just remove the end off them and don't need to respline.

If its in between these 2 scenarios then thats a buggar although as stated earlier welding works well, my mate who has been building racecars for some years has used this method with no failures.

When I did mine I was lucky enough to fit it uncut as I found a narrow housing/axles but had to make sure I go the right offset wheels and my Torana which is not wide as its based off a HB Viva.

There is a company here with a Jig that welded all the bits on for me to make sure it was lined up which is the most important part.

lc-orange-12.jpg

You have a good point here. As long as spline is correct then its just a matter of finding the correct bearing to use. Pickapart would be good for finding axles. How do you measure a spline, dia + count? Spacing could be differant tho.

Gaz

• 4 years later...