2jz, blown headgasket, help..

nothingsfree

Picked up a jzx90 mark 2, with a 2jzge, auto etc.

Got it cheap with a blown head gasket, was due to the water pump dying.

Have got a new head gasket, waterpump and cambelt while I was at it. Now the question is, do I need to get the head checked? Will it be ok to just throw back on?

Now I realise thats abit of a how long is a piece of string question, just wondering if they are known for cracking the head, or going soft etc?

I would get it checked, but I really need to get it back together asap, as Iv sold my daily..

Definitely get it checked. I would just go with getting it surfaced as I haven't heard of any stories of soft heads or cracks (not that I pay particular attention to these motors).

Long heads are prone to warping and a skim will both true it up and remove any imperfections from head gasket blowing.

Nothing worse than putting a head back on and having the same symptoms / it cooks again.

I don't think they are known to crack but any head warp if over-heated bad enough. The thing is they have MLS gaskets so it would have taken some force for it to blow the gasket. MLS gaskets tend to need a very straight and true surface to seal properly. I would definitely get the head checked at the very minimum.

I can't say anything specific about these motors but in general with alloy heads then I fully agree with these guys ^^

Definitely get the head cracketested and checked for straightness and hardness - most probably will need a skim as 99% of all alloy heads do..

Its insurance that will give you piece of mind if anything and these are fairly ripsnorter motors so taking shortcuts is only going to expose weaknesses you don't want to bring out,