flyingbricks scorpion discussion

flyingbrick

Thanks guys.

I had a good look but didnt take the lower filter housing off and without doing that cant see the part number. I checked that fuel squirts in and it does.. it piddles a little jet into the inlet. how much force should that jet have? and should it be a jet or a spray? I'm thinking it could just be the spring that pushes the plunger has gone a bit soft or something?

Also shortened the gearbox kickdown linkage a suitable amount- she feels much more lively now as it actually tries to rev a bit before changing - before it was very very very lazy to drive.

Wish there was a turbo involved.

Thanks man! Yeah an SC14 would be rad.

You seen one of those on this engine in the past or? Hmmn, suckthrough setup would be simple enough.

Apparently there was a twin solex carb manifold available for these and some guys throw on webbers for much better performance. Certainly is not really confidence inspiring at the moment, especially with the hesitation it has. I think i'll try a gruntier spring

edit:

Spent some time out there trying to work out what was wrong with the accelerator pump. Pulled it to pieces a few times to check gaskets/diaphragm etc and cleaned out. Had it spraying really well for one or two pumps and then it blocked itself up good and proper. DOH, now i need an air compressor.

I had never played with a carb before so it took me a wee while to work out what was happening. Turns out the spring pressure (which governs how much fuel is squirted in during accel) is adjustable and was set very low.. so hopefully now once cleaned out it will spray good and propper.

I must admit that carbs are a wonderful thing. Wish i'd started playing with these a few years back.

I did exactly what you did man and it will do it again unless you do something else.

I think I put a new fuel filter in but may not have.

It has no auto choke. It would have stopped working so someone just took it out. That's why it needs a clear throttle pump jet else there is no way to get fuel to carb.

4g63

yeah thats what guys who have done the swap are saying. I'll link back to the pages tonight when im home.

Obviously it sounds impossible but would be nice if true. The current carb is supposed to be an absolute dog compared to the ford (cortina weber or 4.1 xe/xf weber) carbs.

Its a common swap- adaptor plates are available all over the place.

the 4g54 seems so strangled up top i'm guessing 30hp could be possible!

the guys in the states love the boat anchor 4G54 - with a lighted bottom end, flat top/domed pistons, port work, aggressive cam and carb(s) + headers to match they can extract alot more power and torque out of them. A few MPI turbo 4G54s in the states pushing 600+hp.

Tried some 13" modgies on today... didn't fit over the calipers :lol: so im rolling with missmatched wheels at the moment. This lead me to a discovery though- a set of dirty old Hoshino Impul pro-spokes in 14"...these are going to be mine soon and will be sent to the engineers for widening.

I'm told these wheels are quite rare which is cool. :D