clutch question (T5 & V8)

RT

So I've had enough of the auto and decided to stick a T5 into my Capri.

Everything should be pretty straight forward, except for the clutch.

All the T5 windsor bellhousings have the clutch fork sticking out the passenger side. So that seems to pretty much rule out running a cable. Unless I get a really long one.. probably melt on the headers.

So that leaves converting it to hydraulic I guess?

thoughts?

It depends how much room you have to run the cable - IIRC my mates HQ with cable clutch has the cable extend to about the engine mount midway point before heading back to the clutch fork..

You can be sneaky and run the cable close to the body or run it super long to the front of the motor and then back to the fork.

Pic of engine bay?

really? does it wrap around the front of the engine? Must be Fnkn long..

Yeah I'm sure does. I think EB-EL Falcons were like that.

It will work fine if it has no real sharp kinks in in.

Edit.

Just Googled this.

6cylinder cars have a long cable with the fork on the L.H side.

it went from the firewall around the deepest part of the sump and back to the gear box.

It depends how much room you have to run the cable - IIRC my mates HQ with cable clutch has the cable extend to about the engine mount midway point before heading back to the clutch fork..

You can be sneaky and run the cable close to the body or run it super long to the front of the motor and then back to the fork.

Pic of engine bay?

enginej.jpg

Not much room. This is the only pic I could find at the mo, and not much use. Couldn't run it close to the body as the angle would be too much. So I guess it would have to go right around the front and back again. I'd need some gnarly heat protection from the headers.

Has anyone done a hydraulic conversion on something similar?

What about a hydraulic throw out bearing?

I know summit in the us sell bolt in kits for t5's (gm spec at least)

Not really sure how they work exactly? But not so keen on something which is all in the bellhousing.. if it goes wrong then the whole engine/trans has to come out.

I'm liking the cable idea but never seen a cable that goes across to the other side of the box. Pics or it didn't happen.

No idea, never done it.

It's would be easier if there was a master which fitted the capri cable hole but there isn't cos it's a weird angle piece.

I think a cable might work, this pic shows how close the booster is to the engine etc

downloadvz.jpg

I found my old 2L cable and shoved that in the hole to see how it fits. It would need to be 3 times as long to snake right around the front of the engine and back to the lever.

download1cv.jpg

Yeah I reckon that a cable will work fine - just need to get one made that is the correct length..

Make up a mock length outer with some nylon tubing if you have access to it - will give you a pretty good indication of angles you can get away with..

Then just send it away and get one made (or 2 if its not that much more expensive)

You can see how we ran my mates one in them photos above..

Is the fork on the drivers or passengers side?

Fork is on the passengers side on a t5, thats his problem.

I would try and run it close to the right hand strut tower away from the exhausts and then loop underneath the sump.

there's plenty of info on this install on Mustangs...

Its easy on the mustangs because the drivers side is the same side as the clutch fork being left hand drive and all.

My mum has a tickford mustang factory converted in australia, If I was in New Plymouth I could have a squiz and see how they re routed it on there. (although I fear It has a very long cable as the pedal has a strange feel compared to my car which is essentially the same but still left hand drive)