G/W series toyota box's

Vintage Grumble

Hello, are G/W series boxes exactly the same inside? I have been told they are, but may have different ratios, which is fine, but I was just talking to a wrecker who thinks the G box may have a much smaller input shaft bearing/all bearings, which wont enjoy being behind a 1UZ? I'm looking at getting a G52 from a hiace as they have cable shifters on the right hand side, which I hope to join to the factory column change linkage in my hilux. Another question, the factory box is tiny, and i'm guessing the G box will be way larger, has anyone put a G/W into an early hilux? Did you have to mangle the tunnel much to fit it? ALSO, can anyone direct me to any information regarding fitting 3SGTE fly wheels onto 1UZ's (I have been told they require minimal work to fit)

Cheers!

Personally, I wouldn't bother troubling yourself over whether a G52 will die or live, It will be sweet with the occassional b out and whatnot.

I used to see cheap 3sgte slotted flywheels turn up on the tard every so often, maybe an easy way of getting one? Unless of course you get cheap machining etc.

Get box, attach to motor, try and fit into place and see what happens, you might get lucky and just have to adjust it with a larger than life hammer. From the brief attempt I had with fitting a G52 into my 73', it wasn't tooooooooo bad.

i have one of these g52s behind a 7k in a burnout/paddock car starlet, has had a lot of abuse and no issues. altho a light car with small motor proly helps there. surely the fact these boxes do a million km in well abused hiace company vans is a testament to their inherent durability?

didnt have to attack the tunnel at all either believe it or not, and starlets are pretty small in that department.

Yeh, it wont have a very hard life, just the odd b-out and so on, mostly just daily driving. I did read that they will give up when behind a 1uz, but I think they were meaning in 4wd's, which would involve a lot more loading and shock, im not going to have any grip so this wont be an issue.

The tunnel in the RN40 is quite narrow and square, but I hope to get the motor pretty low, and it will have to sit quite far forward to miss the column shift linkages, so it should fit.