Nissan diff-axles-hubs questions

anglia4

I'm messing with the idea of doing a McPherson strut (Chapman strut) rear end setup in my anglia.

I was thinking of using a skyline or silvia diff with pulsar or primera uprights.

I don't know any of the codes or names for nissan stuff though.

What diff do I want? (LSD, not too expensive)

Will the axles that match the diff fit the spline on the uprights? (Thats not a big issue coz I can always have axles joined so that they fit)

I'm not worried about control arms or subframes or any of that jazz cos it will all be fabricated

Its mainly for a learning excercise and to do something a bit different.

I'm studying mechanical engineering and I'm quite interested in suspension design, I'm trying to use the anglia as a bit of practice at designing, building and then tuning my own suspension geometry.

Is it the R180 diff thats in the S14? Are these any good, seems to be plenty around. Are there different models? different mounting points and things like that?

Also do they come in LSD & Open? and would they be interchangeable? Like if I picked up a real cheap open one to use for design/build and then upgrade to an LSD down the track

My knowledge of newer Nissan stuff isn't that great but:

R180 = 180mm ring gear, smaller diff and lighter. These usually came out in non turbo cars

R200 = 200mm ring gear, bigger and heavier. These are probably the most common Nissan diff and are fitted to just about everything rear wheel drive in one form or another

With the shortnose version there are heaps of different types, different spacings on the backing plate bolts, different axle bolt flange patterns, ABS & non ABS, visous LSD, clutch LSD, no LSD. They are pretty much all interchangable, you can mix and match the right bits, especially if you are not using the ABS sensors etc

If you are in Christchurch I have most of an R200 that came out of an S13 that I'm not using if you want to borrow it?

As for whether the driveshafts will fit in front wheel drive hubs you'd just have to try it to see.

I can't imagine the Anglia would require anything greater than an R160 but I guess an R180 wouldn't hurt. You could get one in slippy nature from a Subaru as well. As DJZ says though, there are a million types from over the years. Fuji Heavy Industries , yo.

i happen to have a r180 lsd with the half shafts incl. brought it for the 910 and run it open before i got ky's r200 monster .

the r180 is a 4 pinion too im pretty sure , ill go find a couple of pics .

3.7:1 ratio which is super low but in a light as shit car like yours shouldnt be too bad . pm if your keen .

not sure what hubs would accept the halfshafts but if your fabricating everything it shouldnt matter .

go for a r200 if you can get one , you will never ever blow it up

there we go it is 4 pinion , way better then 2 pinion as you dont risk the rollpin snapping and letting the crosspin fall out of the carrier letting the spiders gears go where the hell they want

P1020498.jpg

P1020499.jpg

P1020500.jpg

P1020501.jpg

compared to the r200

P1020492.jpg

P1020493.jpg

P1020494.jpg

just to give you an idea

I've seen an S13/A31/R32 complete rear subframe sectioned down and shoehorned into a front skid 323 wagon. (Now rear skid) The earlier type nissan IRS rear ends that came with the longnose diffs, weren't as good as the later style stuff. I have a complete r32 rear end sitting around if you feel the need to run a tape measure over it.

I can't imagine the Anglia would require anything greater than an R160 but I guess an R180 wouldn't hurt. You could get one in slippy nature from a Subaru as well. As DJZ says though, there are a million types from over the years. Fuji Heavy Industries , yo.

only difference between the subaru and nissan ones is the rear housing plate studs that go to subframe are vertical on subaru,whereas if you look at mongols pictures nissan ones are horizontal.dont imagine itd be hard to change the cover over though.pity you didnt put this up a few weeks ago anglia4,i had a complete 95 gt legacy wagon here,would have sold you the whole rear subframe with suspension,diff head etc for next to nothing

Does anybody know if the subaru's have a macphereson (chapman) strut rear end or double wishbone type thing?

If they are strut design then I can just use subaru axles, diff and hubs and don't have to worry about mixing axles to get the right splines (not that it will be a huge deal as I will have to have the axles shortened anyway)