Are the Gen 2 D2 adjustables a lot better than the Gen 1s?

wickmyster

I have searched for info but not come up with much...so I asked on trademe

"Are the Gen 2 D2s a lot better than the gen 1? wickmyster (92 ) 9:45 pm, Mon 23 May

yes there really dont leak anymore they use japanese seals now, and the design of the internals are a lot different and the shock shafts are bigger. These are comparable honestly with tein coilovers now, the quality really is top."

Are they worth buying new now for sub $1500??

or am i better going a decent spring/shock combo for a similar price?

I want the occasional track day capability...

There has been nsignificant discussion on toyspeed about this.

I don't have experience with them, but the run down was the old ones were quite average and the new ones look to have sorted some of the design issue (larger diameter struts for one).

From what some people were saying, BC's can be had for the same money, (not sure on the quality difference here thoguh).

One guy mentioned that D2's are "made in the same factory as K sport", I will be using K sport (the orange ones) on my corolla, go them cheap second hand though so while not expecting miracles, reviews are quite good.

as is probably common knowledge, 1st gen d2 = shit, they leak etc. Have never seen a set of the 2nd gen stuff yet. Have certed heaps of BC and ive never seen a set leak yet plus they ride nice and the adjustment actually makes a difference. and they have properly designed brackets for brake hoses etc. if i was buying for my own car would probably go with BC.

Just my 10 cents.

I brought an early set of D2s back when coli overs got cheap, 2004-5ish I think. I was really impressed as was my friend who got some at the same time. his car got wofs with no cert and he recently sold with no problems with suspension. I never got my nissan legal and never got pulled over. Touch wood I still take it for the odd drive.

I always heard stories like "cant cert D2s" and "K sports are better" Who knows.

The only thing that worried me was the front had around 10-15mm travel and cert needed 30mm from what I was told.

i only have 1st gen d2 experiance and all i know is the springs or damping was WAY too hard.

id still go with bc's purely because they are proven. then again 2nd gen d2's could be just as good wont know till people try them

yea d2's and k sports are very very similar like all the parts are the same size and can swap over :rolleyes:

i would go bc's golds over d2's gen 2 as there still new to the market and the problems will apare after some more time and more threads made of the problems of the new d2's

by the way i had been told by a teins dealer that bc's are kind of a knock off of teins and still have most of the quality but just at a cheaper price