6 Speed altezza box onto other motors

wickmyster

No, the bell housing is part of the gearbox housing in the J160 gearbox. I think they're the same box as an S15 6 speed too.

If you want to fit it to anther motor it means making an adapter plate or cut/shutting the bellhousing. I don't think they would last too long behind a 1JZGTE, but would be fine behind an NA one.

If you are considering this to get another overdrive gear for economy (going by your other thread) I think you will be quite disappointed the 6 speed's 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio, like a conventional 5 speed's 4th gear, here are the ratios;

IS200 ratios(according to Google):

Gearing

1st - 3.106

2nd - 2.175

3rd - 1.585

4th - 1.223

5th - 1.000

6th - 0.869

W57 (according to google):

1st - 3.285

2nd - 1.894

3rd - 1.275

4th - 1.000

5th - 0.861

'86.5 - '90 GA70s w/the 1G-GE have a 4.56, clutch-pack or Torsen LSD 7.5" differential, NOT compatible with any of the other A70 diff setups.

All 1G-GTE equipped GA70s have a 4.56, clutch-pack or Torsen LSD differential.

'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs without Sport Package have a 4.30, open differential.

'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs with Sport Package (TEMS & headlight washers on '86.5 - '88 : TEMS & PPS on '89-'92) have a 4.30, clutch-pack LSD differential.

'87 - '88 MA70 turbo MKIIIs have a 3.91 clutch-pack LSD differential.

'89+ MA70 turbo MKIIIs have a 3.73 clutch-pack LSD differential.

'90 - '92 JZA70 Limited and R MKIIIs manual trans cars have a 4.10 Torsen LSD differential and auto trans cars have a 3.91 Torsen LSD differential.

not sure on variation between auto and manuals...

Would guess ma70 7M auto to be that tallest auto ratio

No, the bell housing is part of the gearbox housing in the J160 gearbox. I think they're the same box as an S15 6 speed too.

If you want to fit it to anther motor it means making an adapter plate or cut/shutting the bellhousing. I don't think they would last too long behind a 1JZGTE, but would be fine behind an NA one.

Same box as S15, S2000, RX8 and MX5, differences in ratios, shifter positions and obviously bellhousings.

There was at least one company in the US making different front cases for them to go behind other engines (or at least 4AGE)

A bit of googling should provide more info on this.

/What engine are you wanting to put one behind?

Edit: "Pineapple racing" did an adapter to fit a 4A bell on the J160

belltotranscollage.jpg

collageofadapter.jpg

Yeah, i am going for an NA six 200hp hopefully, same power as Beams 3SGE

Your going for a 2jzge hopefully as it does this stock, don't say you're planning on a G?

Also you will find if you use a 3.9 diff in your car and a w58 the cruise RPM's will be perfect, while still pulling through the gears just fine. A shift kitted & stalled auto will give you better accel and over drive than a manual, 6 speed is wank factor

Yeah, I was just looking at the six speed because

Yeah, but means I can go for the tallest ratio diff without sacrificing acceleration.

My mate has a 3.73 supra diff, I am going to check out to see if it is an lsd, will keep an eye out for a 3.9 as that is what my old supra had and it was mean.....but no plan are in concrete yet.

Buy a 1/2jzgte if you want more acceleration, unless you go buy a expensive as shit V160 there isn't a bolt on 6 speed option

So a W58 with a adapter plate to the auto bellhousing will get you going for a fraction of the cost of sorting a 6 speed

These little 6 speeds are supposed to be a bit weak too aren't they? I thought a few of the S15 fellas were changing them out for the earlier 5 speeds because the 6 couldn't handle the jandle. They were probably pretty crazy little engines though, making a whole lot more than 200hp.

I haven't had too much to do with 2JZ-GE's, but in the one I have been in I was quite impressed. The torque comes in quite low and they pull well though to a relatively high red line for a big 6. I think a 2J with a tall ratio diff and W58 would be ideal, you'd still have good pickup while having a nice low tick-over at 100km/h.

The 6 speed boxes have beefier stronger gears and synchros etc than the W series boxes.

Apparently the fault comes down to one of the circlip pops off when the gearbox is loaded with a shiteload of torque, and everything all turns to hell.

I read about a guy machining the circlip ring deeper, and then he had no probs with 500hp or something stupid running through it.

There's not really any way that you can get super good cruising rpms and good accelleration, even with the 6 speed box.

Because if you've got like a 3.9 or 3.7 ratio, you're only going to be using 3 gears to be getting to rather illegal sorts of speeds anyway.

I'm actually skeptical of the benefits of gratuitous amounts of gears too.

It's great if you've got a dog box that you can just slam into the next gear, but for a normal gearbox, even though you can theoretically stay in the powerband better, there are more times that youre faffing around not accellerating at all, because you're changing gears which takes x amount of time per shift, on a normal synchro box.

Like if you wanted to have a good accelleration to 100kph, you'd probably be faster finding a diff ratio and tire size combo that lets you do it in two gears instead of 3, just because of the dead time of changing that extra gear offsetting the accelleration advantage.

You could bolt a 2GRFE to an Altezza 6 speed box! :shock:

Yea I share Romans sentiments, 6 speeds in a road car seem to be a marketing gimmick, would be more usefull if 6th was a epic overdrive

Like if you wanted to have a good accelleration to 100kph, you'd probably be faster finding a diff ratio and tire size combo that lets you do it in two gears instead of 3, just because of the dead time of changing that extra gear offsetting the accelleration advantage.

So basically fit a powerglide :D

Yeah epic overdrive, or 6th as a 1:1 ratio 8)

For what I want to do with my car (mainly fun at taupo track)

having a 6 speed gearbox gives me 4 useful gears instead of 3. (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)

However it comes to that PITA scenario.

Instead of having a gear ratio that keeps me sorted right to the exit of a corner, what if it now means that I've got to change gear 3/4 of the way out of a turn? Not good when you're trying to gun it right on the limit of traction etc, and then chopping to the next gear.

Having a diff ratio which gives a better speed spread for each gear anyway is probably going to make for a more useful way to drive the car, as well as better cruising rpms.

I think the advantage of having a higher final drive ratio (like 4.5 etc) is just so that when you're running higher rpms than standard, you are bringing the effective speed of each gear back DOWN to similar to what it was at the standard rev limit.

Yeah there's a 2GR or 1GR or something which comes in a north south setup, so piece of cake to do.

I think the gruntiest version of the engine only comes in an east west setup though.