RPM signal for a beams 3sge

spanners

Im no expert, so correct where required...

How do I get an RPM signal from the beams to go to the starlet tacho? It looks like it has individual coil packs etc so cant just run a line from the -ve of the coil, unless i ran off all 4 etc. Just dont know what will work really.

Any thoughts? I think link will have an out but its not the right signal from what I am told?

Also anybody have the relevant plug to run tacho that goes into back of starlet dash? I would like to use something standard. Maybe ke30/70 ones fit...

have never seen beams ignition setup. but if ignitors are built into the coil. you will have to make the low level signal from the ecu work. (i take it you're going link or similar) so options are

*low level tach (designed to run off ecu)

*mod coil a negative tach

*amplify low level signal

if coils run external ignitors. you can jump onto the coil negative on way to ignitors, to drive a coil negative tach. will need to build a simple circuit with a few diodes to combine all 4 signals.

i run a standard sprint dash in mine. the pin gives up as it approaches 8000rpm though. sadly they dont spin right off the end

You can get tacho adaptor thingos which are like $100 or so.

My understanding of the problem is that it's a 5V signal coming from the coilpacks, when the tacho expects 12v.

I had some resistors and what not added to my tacho, which made it work properly with the beams signal.

However, if you were paying someone else to do it, probably cheaper to get a tacho adaptor.