Sealed headlights - possible to separate?

Archetype

Hi, my girlfriend's headlights in her 1995 Toyota Camry need attention (failed WOF because of this). The chrome on the inside of the headlights is faded and crusty, so I was going to clean them up and see if a respray in chrome would help things. The headlights are sealed up with a strong glue though - is it possible to separate the two parts? If so, how?

We're also looking for some replacement headlights, but I'm trying to avoid replacing old headlights with old headlights, in case we end up having the same issue again in the near future.

It is pretty common for soarer guys to bake their headlights and re seal them with success.

Oven Temperature: about 175-200F for about 5-10 mins, depending on the actual temperature of the oven. Leave the headlights in there until they are somewhat warm to the touch. Start at one end of the headlight, and use a dull object such as a butter knife of dull screwdriver to separate the headlights.

Give them a good going over with a plastic polish too.

forget doing that, just go get another headlight from a wreckers or pick a part ($20ish). Spray chrome is never going to cut it.

+1. Failed someone at work for no chrome. They bro chromed it and when they brought it back it was easy to tell that it was bodge so just told them to gtfo.

It is pretty common for soarer guys to bake their headlights and re seal them with success.

Oven Temperature: about 175-200F for about 5-10 mins, depending on the actual temperature of the oven. Leave the headlights in there until they are somewhat warm to the touch. Start at one end of the headlight, and use a dull object such as a butter knife of dull screwdriver to separate the headlights.

Give them a good going over with a plastic polish too.

Altezza guys do the same thing to paint over all the chrome crap in Tez lights lol

/As Fuel says just get another light.

But if you are set on fixing it yourself that alloy tape works better than shitty "chrome" paint... :lol:

Yeah, we'll just get some replacements instead. I thought it might have been quicker and easier to repair the existing lights instead of trying to hunt down some 2nd hand ones. I just wasn't that keen on ordering some 2nd hand ones without seeing them in the flesh, then having them turn up with a similar amount of crustation.

Personally I think VTNZ are being a bit pedantic about it, as the lights still look pretty bright to me.