Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yoeddynz

Viva version 4?

My workmates call it Alex's Justin viva.

I like Vauxhall Vulga. Or even better...

'Vauxhall Vulva'

great wee cars no matter what the name- get them while they're cheap*

*most likely forever...

Guest vivaspeed

great wee cars no matter what the name- get them while they're cheap*

*most likely forever...

Sorry to disappoint, but they are not cheap. Asking $4k on Tardme now. I bought mine for $500. That's like an 8x increase in value.

Really shit about your one packing up. Hope you've got a sweet alternative to get up with? If you haven't rebuilt the engine by then...

Guest 77magnum13hundy

Yeh even if they have DO have their rust hiding under the windscreen and along the sills between the double skin waiting to appear...

500? you paid too much i got mine for 300 haha, although i did take 500 cash along and asked the nice old lady how much again?

... currently using some of alex's mojo as motivation to do some more work on mine...

Guest coldturkey

I conclude it must have been a setup; the engine problems were all staged.

Because if Alex actually managed to pull that out of the hat then today would have been a public holiday in his honour and we would all be worshipping him.

Guest yoeddynz

Hello my worshippers. Nahhhhh doesn't seem right.

We just got back in to Nelson an hour ago after clocking up over 1500kms in the Viva on an unknown engine (and soooooo many things that could have gone wrong) and it all went with out a fault.. ok, one very leaky surge tank lid I had to fix in Palmy north supercheap carpark and then leaky fuel tank outlet hose replaced on dry floor at the very friendly riverspeed workshop in Wanganui. The tank still leaks. I suspect a possible crack near outlet.

Engine going kaput wasn't a setup. We just worked our arses off for last few days and with help from Slacker Sam who came over from Mot I did an engine swap with the $100 trademe special engine that was originally fitted as my dummy engine. For a 100 buck engine it went bloody well too.

The original reason for removing the rotary was economy- well after never really seeing better than 10L/100 with the 12A the V6 managed an easy 9L/100 and managed just over 8 on one run. This is with some pretty spirited driving at times and also on a very basic tune that I know is still too rich.

So that's nice.

Then there is the sound..... oooooooohhhh the V6. Its lovely!

Anyway- bloody happy to have made it to the nats!! We both had a fantastic time as always its great to meet everyone!

Will post up an update with some photos on Viva thread soon.

Alex

• Like 2

Guest CUL8R

Excellent stuff, sounds pretty damn impressive also!

Bad luck on the old motor, had that happen not long after getting stuff running also.

Guest snapper

good effort! great results.the images so far suggest this is really something special.

how're you finding the balance compared with the 12A?

Guest 77magnum13hundy

Never ceases to amaze me how pro you 2 are at this... I love cheap engines cos at the end of the day it didnt cost you shit and a quick rebuild got you ALL THE WAY to palmy north haha... LSD time soon, im steering towards hilux diff, cos one wheelers are not that flash with awesome amounts of power... I'm gunna have to get mine to nelson next time

Guest yoeddynz

you must get yours going for nelson! its the law. I would like to see more Viva love going on this here forum actually. They cant be that bad?...

Guest SHGWAG

Hi Alex, long time stalker, 1st time thread poster.

After talking to you at the square on Saturday, I spotted a nice clean de spoilered white FD on black wheels and got a half mast going on (sorry to Tara if it pushed through the back of the Lada's seat). You would have enjoyed it.

This thing is damn sweet.

Only one word can be said here:

MAZDAFUCKINGWHAT!!!!!!

• Like 1