Wiring up a fuel pump

R100

had a google around and there's a few pages about wiring them up. search tachmetric relay

can be found in all sorts of cars, from peugeots, to vl commys, to jags, sierras, all sorts. apparently vl v8s have one that only pumps when getting a pulse from the ignition system, thus car has to be at least cranking or running to have pump going. sounds super easy :) being in the auto electrics game you'll have access to these

Isn't that on injected cars only?? /wrong thread

yes correct, doesnt apply to carb`d cars. probably a good idea though.

you could run a relay off oil pressure switch, and a momentary switch as well to prime it before starting.......make the owner feel like hes starting a spitfire

ignition- check

neutral-check

prime fuel-check

starter-engage

select first, chocks away biggles, tally ho what

just to throw in a fresh idea, jaycar sell voltage switch kitsets. knowing that theres +13v when the alternator operates, you could control a relay when battery voltage is greater than say 12.9v

http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5377&CATID=25&form=CAT&SUBCATID=347

EDIT: possibly not an ideal solution, high electrical loads could swith the pump off...

just to throw in a fresh idea, jaycar sell voltage switch kitsets. knowing that theres +13v when the alternator operates, you could control a relay when battery voltage is greater than say 12.9v

http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5377&CATID=25&form=CAT&SUBCATID=347

EDIT: possibly not an ideal solution, high electrical loads could swith the pump off...

relayed off charge light then - if charge light is off pump is on?

about the same as running it off oil pressure switch.

Customers car came in. Had planned on connecting it up through the alternatr warning light.

Turns out it has some strange alternator with no warning light output. In fact the only output on the alternator is the main battery terminal, nothing else.

Second choice was fit an oil pressure switch but ran out of time so i ended up connecting the fuel pump to the ignition via a relay through a seperate switch as per customers insructions.

I did locate a few different tachometric relays last week. But no one has any wiring diagrams for them. They are factory equiptment for cars such as BMW, citreon etc. So they have a large plug with 6 to 8 wires. I could of searched through some wiring diagrams but it all got a bit hard so decided on wiring in through the alternator light. But yeah, that didnt go as planned either..

when alternator warning lights pack it, most of the time it thinks that its always charging, not the other way around, so normally it would just keep working the same as before

i found a tachometric relay for $40 but the link is at work, i'm going to buy one of these as its the easiest and best option imo