that horrible old 1256

IvyMike

So yeah my chevette is up to no good. It contaminates plugs (doesn't foul them) with a yellowish white powdery substance, drinks water, has around 140 psi compression across all 4. Are these things known to blow head gaskets or warp heads?

Every now and then I'll drive this thing around and it will begin missing, it'll run better with the choke in but still not very well. Then all of a sudden it will come right within itself. I did clean the spark plugs the other day which helped immensely but yeah.. the jitters came back today and then they were gone once again.

The last time it did this I replaced the spark plugs and the problem was BAM gone. But now it's back 300k later.. Argh?!?!

Your thoughts?

DCD? How did you go about mounting that on the standard manifold?

whan i put the weber on mine i just bought a weber alloy adaptor and welded it to a viva manifold

the car run much better and had auto choke but still not the best.

img009501.jpg

img0098zn.jpg

img0099ej.jpg

img0115by.jpg

i think the 1256 mototr is plane evil and needs to be shot.

and also yes from what ive heard they are prone to blowing head gaskets and worping heads.

cheers

dan

Bad ass weber, cheers for the pics

So yeah it really packed a sad last night, had to use the choke to get it home. So now the carb is off it and I've taken it to bits to to run a kit through it. I have a feeling the sliding piston is intermittently getting jammed and is causing me this grief. It pings it's nuts off while trying to accelerate..

Has anyone bothered making a tool to adjust the special adjustment bolt on the underside of the float bowl?

I bought the kit from repco, part number "CD200". I work there so the price was good but if your an everyday punter it's quite expensive.. $94. You would be better off getting a kit from trademe. I'll let you know how I go with the tool.

Sweet, yep already sussed this, I got sweet hookups from repco too. Dunno about the adjustment too, might have to fashion up something cause its a bit hard with two screwdrivers upside down eh.

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought I'd update on how everything has turned out. Ended up doing the head gasket which wasn't so bad. I am fairly convinced the original problem was caused by poor air/fuel mixture and oil on the piston collecting debris stopping it from moving freely.

Had a little bit of trouble with the carb after running some new seals/gaskets through it, turns out there is a little washer which is supposed to sit in between the emulsion tube and the jet to raise the height of the jet. With that in place it's now running reasonably well.

Main problem I had is trying to tune the carb with the queer little castle nut on the underside of the carb. Thanks to a friend fabing something up for me, I've now got a little tool to take care of it. It's running a hell of alot better now.. I'm still not 100% sure about the state of the tune but it's nearly there. In the next few days I'll tune it with a Gunson Colortune plug (fricken great idea, you want one) and all will live happily ever after. That's the theory anyway.

Ginormous blurry pic of tool: http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7854/dscf0333a.jpg

ZP, burnside in the house yeyuh