Ranter's Phat Staz (widebody Starion)

ProZac

it was a rescued factory prototype Eliot, it shouldn't have even left Japan to begin with as Mitsubishi crush them usually. The chassis number probably wont be recognised by Mitsubishi's parts system.

It was an oddity as it had four stud hubs (originally) while all other narrowbody cars were 5 stud. The rear end is basically the same as in a Galant VR-4 (unsure of the ratio in the 4WS Starion though), right down the diff, crossmembers, arms, half-shafts etc.

That is jawsome. Factory prototype even.

have any of your contacts been able to dig up more info about it Phil? Would be interesting to know moar background details.

btw - I'm sure narrowbody JDM Stazzas were all 4-stud with the exception of the GSR-V

it was a rescued factory prototype Eliot, it shouldn't have even left Japan to begin with as Mitsubishi crush them usually. The chassis number probably wont be recognised by Mitsubishi's parts system

nofuckingshit?

that's awesome. can't be many that make it out from being crushed one would think...

How does it handle with the 4ws? No other starion came with that amirite?

The best way to describe its handling was the way the old guy I bought it off described it,

its like someone drags the back around with a trolley jack. It is good fun throwing it into corners and seeing how it reacts.

As for no others i'm not sure, the story went there were a few shipped to NZ back when you had to remove engines and pretend they were going to the wreckers, a car shark on a buying mission (in Japan) saw them on a transporter headed to the crusher and bought them.

The previous owner was a friend of said car shark and had instructed him to buy him something different.

Thats cool. I know a couple of Opel/Vauxhalls from the 80's that made it into the country in a similar manner. They were the test models for Australia that are given to dealers and media to test reaction and then get crushed to avoid under cutting sales of the proper new models. They were shipped to NZ instead of being squashed in Roo land.

This is super awesome that its actually a factory prototype though. Should tell Mitsi Japan you have it, they would either be stoked and pay you heaps for it, or send over the gestapo to squash it. Either way its a win, win situation :D:P

Yeah not sure if I should let them know, they might be suprised a hacked up prototype was daily driven for 19 years and 114,000kms although probably proud it lasted longer than most Starions.

I did ask Mitsi NZ to look into it for me, they said that couldn't find any mention of them or anyone thats knows anything about them. (I know they wouldn't have checked shit though)