2 peice rims swapping centre into 4wd rims

Ke36

also keen to know about this, there's a few on trademe but they dont seem to be as cheap as i'd expect, seems like everybody's onto this?

I spend hours searching "latest listings" for 4x4 3 or 2 peice rims. Bought a nice set of 15x8 3 piece last week for $100 Good 4" of dish. Its finding the 4 stud centers thats the hard part.

Also if anyone spots some Lodiodrive 15s in any width let me know, I got 2 spare bad ass tri spoke 4x114 centres I wanna make use of

These for example would work

137311111_full.jpg

137311371_full.jpg

are u matching the bolt pattern of the outers to the centres you have zeb or is there a way you can put any centres in there?

i.e weld the outers up and redrill the bolt pattern?

You could weld and re drill things.

But they are wheels remember. They have to be round. The moment you go welding rings in here and drilling things etc they can come out bad.

It's not too difficult to find ones (in japan) with the same PCD of the bolts.

I'm sure there's ways to do it but I managed to find some unwelded 3 piece 4wd rims in 4x114, they're not common

Have seen others run adapters, redrilling is an option too.

Could always change to 3 stud like the back of this 180sx

30694_390752740307_603510307_4563712_7648583_n.jpg

g1gp006.jpg

nah not talking about the centre bolting to the car i mean bolting the centre to the 4wd outer?

not 6 stud to 4 stud etc, but as in the 30 + or so bolts

most 4wd rims seem to have heaps of bolts holding the centre to the outer but my jap rims have farless than that

most 4wd rims seem to have heaps of bolts holding the centre to the outer but my jap rims have farless than that

Most of those Japanese wheels with only 8 or 10 bolts are welded and I don't think they are intended to be bolted 3 piece at all.

My understanding is that anything is possible, but to do it cheap and easily, which is what you are trying to achieve, requires you to find a set of suitable 4x4 rims that are the same PCD with the same amount of holes as your centres.

From reading through Jases thread (a while ago now) I seem to remember that he managed to find the right size and bolt pattern for his, but I think the centres were just slightly too large and he had to machine the outer shells, or something similar to this, which ended up costing quite a bit because its quite precision stuff - even a traction of a mm out here will throw the ballance of the wheel out to a point where it won't be possible to bring it back to ballanced.

I think buying rims blindly off trademe isn't the answer unless you can go and physically measure them or you already know the dimentions of certain rims, like zeb. One solution Jase suggested was going to a 4x4 wrecker and measuring up a few sets. Even perhaps if you don't end up buying them and just hunt out a cheaper set later on, though I don't really recommend this because the wrecker won't be as helpful next time.

Just get some outer lips made.

Another idea is to fit the alloy centers into widened steel rims. Ideally you could buy a set of 14x8" etc outers and have a steel ring welded in to locate the alloy center. This is what im about to do. Will post pics once its done.

yeah brads onto it,

i found centres with the correct pcd and the same amount of bolts as my 4x4 bands,

I couldn't drive to wellington purely to measure them so i printed

a picture of the centres out used the pcd 4x100 as a scale

to reasonably accurately measure whether they would fit the bands i had,

when i recieved the centres i merely lined them up against the bands

realised i couldn't risk the centres or bands so sent them to

a reputable machinist to fit and true them up

cost me close to $600 for machining alone

quit thinking you're going to weld or fill holes in alloy,

it'll warp buckle twist and become a bloody mess,

if you are going to swap centres between 2 piece rims

just remember you can machine down to fit them together but building up

isn't feasible ,

have you even got the rims you want to swap or is this all just in theory

yea have some centres that are currently 15x7 +20 offset

found some 15x8.5 - offset 4x4 rims going cheap on trademe and was wondering about the feasibility of it as had seen others doing it, but not worth the hassle it seems

if you print a picture out of the ones on tm

you'll be able to use its stud pattern as a scale

likely 6x139.7? measure the pcd on the picture and divide it from

139.7 which gives you your conversion ratio,

then measure your band diameter on the picture and multiply it

by the conversion ratio you reached before,

then compare the diameter figure you reached from your picture to your centres.

It's pretty simple and the conversion could see you with mint

rims for as little as $200-$500?

Just do the research and calculations first.

If you hit the jackpot machining may not be required