Demand for RWD Mitsi V6 6A10, 11, 12 and 13 engines

R100

I noticed a RWD sigma at pick-a-part today that had the same sort of box, with the exception of the extra hole at the top.

Was playing around with the steel sandwich plate from a 6A12 but it looks as though nothing lined up.

The islander down the road from my house has an L200 on his front lawn, will hit him up for it tommoro. Probly swap the whole thing for a bag of potatoes.

Im thinking the L200 style box would be good for low hp aplications, say up to 180hp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a RWD sigma at pick-a-part today that had the same sort of box, with the exception of the extra hole at the top.

Was playing around with the steel sandwich plate from a 6A12 but it looks as though nothing lined up.

The islander down the road from my house has an L200 on his front lawn, will hit him up for it tommoro. Probly swap the whole thing for a bag of potatoes.

Im thinking the L200 style box would be good for low hp aplications, say up to 180hp

yeah apon looking at that Sigma box and the bare 6A12 block it seems the top two bellhousing bolts are on the incorrect angle - I was so sure that they were interchangeable as someone I know used a 4G92 gearbox on a 6A11 Lancer to convert it to manual, but this was on a 95+ shape Lancer which the 4G9x engines fitted to them are known to have a slightly different bellhousing to the 4G63s.

so I guess you're back to square one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =296707334

This is a MIVEC Galant VX-R 5spd in Auckland, this motor makes the same 200hp and 200Nm that the FTO MIVEC engine does, except that the engine is mounted on the opposite side of the engine bay as the FTO, and has coils mounted to the back of the head rather than C.O.P setup like the FTO.

Take it for a test drive, you'll be quite impressed with the power. Bear in mind the car is 1300kgs so imagine that power and ability to rev to the 8000rpm redline in a 800kgs Chevette. Problem is finding these engines separately is a bit of a task, but I've picked up two complete automatic VX-Rs for less than $1000 each, and you'd be able to make back most your money by parting out the rest of the car. Otherwise FTO engines are easier to come by and it shouldn't be any more difficult to mount longitudinally.

smallest capacity production engine, though Mazda came close with their 1.8 V6. They certainly aren't that small in size though, the only difference between the 1600cc and the 2000cc is a different bore and stroke.

Only use I can see for a 6A10 is if your in a 1600 race class. The stroke is short compared to other competitive 1600 engines, which in turn means slower piston speeds at revs. But weather this is an advantage depends on alot of things, if the heads can flow enough, what's the valve angle and combustion chamber like, is it too heavy etc etc. So basically a waste of time, go for the bigger displacement options

Just a quick post to say thanks for everyones input into this. Your friggin on to it with your Mitsi stuff fuel

So as it stands at the moment.

Have purchased 2x 6A10 engines, 1 with loom and ECU the other as a dumby block to fabricate mounts, exhaust, adapter etc off.

Will be picking up an L200 box to adapt.

The use of a 6A10 engine is irelivant as i realise a 6A13 will be much more powerfull, but once i have sorted out an adapter it can be used on any 6A engines.

The L200 boxes are not the strongest but are cheap and reasonable plentifull and should work fine for N/A applications.

The 6A engines are small and compact, great for small engine bays when you do not want to chop the firewall etc

Good alternative to a 4cylinder engine if your into being different and not to mention the awsome sound of a high reving V6.

Im also on the lookout for a 6Gx engine. Will be going down the route of a custom bellhousing to suit a W series box. I think the 6G engines are better suited to high hp conversions.

Interesting setup, pretty horrible and only would really work for cars with cam chains as opposed to belts, but still interesting to see what some characters do any way. And a little bit on topic with what this thread is about.

134381190_full.jpg

Its in a Sierra to mount a Sierra motor from what I can tell, so not sure why they've done it.

unless you have a handfull of holesaws or lots of rust

you' won't find an 800kg chevette

are surprisingly heavy at 890kg standard

the 1256 can't be more than 80-100kg cos i can get one off the ground an onto a ute,

box's weigh beggar all though 30-40kg

• 1 month later...

Must be someone that knows ? Im going to look at a gearbox this weekend thats supposibly for an L200. How do i tell if its from an L200 and are the L200 boxes all the same through out the years or do they have different bolt patterns.

I thought that question was already answered in this thread? As I've said many times before, the reason I went 6G72 was because there isn't any real choice for gearboxes or engine mounts for the 6A1x unless you do something custom.

I thought that question was already answered in this thread? As I've said many times before, the reason I went 6G72 was because there isn't any real choice for gearboxes or engine mounts for the 6A1x unless you do something custom.

I think my question may of been answered already, ive been trying to under stand what "wide block" and "narrow block" means when talking about the mitsi inline 4 cyl engines. From what i understand all the bellhousings are the same diameter, its just the blocks are wider at the top on some of the engines ? Hence the extra hole on the top of the bellhousing. Correct ?

no it's the difference between the bottom two dowel pins - narrowblock is 310mm while wideblock is 330mm or around about those figures. The flywheels between the wideblock and narrowblock are different too, with the wideblock having a larger diameter flywheel.

It's enough of a difference that you can't bolt a wideblock box onto a narrowblock block and vice versa. The top two bellhousing bolts, some blocks will have just the two holes drilled and the gearbox will often have three holes, I don't know which blocks use which holes specifically but I know the hole on the right is always used.

I was let to believe from overseas forums that the 6A1x shared most of the same bellhousing bolt position with the 4G9x series of motor, which also shares the same pattern with the 4G63 narrowblock, with the main difference being the opposite position of the starter motor which would require the starter motor holes and hump to be relocated. I was lead to believe this because someone in Jamaica with a 6A11 MX Lancer fitted a gearbox from a 4G92 MIVEC Lancer, of which that gearbox actually has two starter motor humps 180deg out from each other, presumably for one to suit the 4G92 and the other to suit the 6A1x. However after looking at a Sigma/L200 box and then looking at pics of my old 6A12 block I cannot see any of the holes lining up, perhaps only the two dowel pins and that's it.

It looks like you'll have to go the adapter plate route if you want to fit a RWD box to the 6A1x series of engine. I knew there was a chance I would have to do this with a 6G72 if I couldn't find a factory Mitsi box which was suitable, but the other factors which made me chose 6G72 is because there were factory RWD mounts, factory RWD thermostat housing and water pipe routing, the internals of the 6G72 are far stronger and more suited to boosted applications, and also the fact you could pick up a 200kW MIVEC 3.0 V6 for less than $500.

I was let to believe from overseas forums that the 6A1x shared most of the same bellhousing bolt position with the 4G9x series of motor, which also shares the same pattern with the 4G63 narrowblock, with the main difference being the opposite position of the starter motor which would require the starter motor holes and hump to be relocated. I was lead to believe this because someone in Jamaica with a 6A11 MX Lancer fitted a gearbox from a 4G92 MIVEC Lancer, of which that gearbox actually has two starter motor humps 180deg out from each other, presumably for one to suit the 4G92 and the other to suit the 6A1x. However after looking at a Sigma/L200 box and then looking at pics of my old 6A12 block I cannot see any of the holes lining up, perhaps only the two dowel pins and that's it.

My brother has a FWD 4G92 with auto box in his lancer if I can help with anything (measurements etc?) to help clear up some questions let me know.. :)

no it's the difference between the bottom two dowel pins - narrowblock is 310mm while wideblock is 330mm or around about those figures. The flywheels between the wideblock and narrowblock are different too, with the wideblock having a larger diameter flywheel.

It's enough of a difference that you can't bolt a wideblock box onto a narrowblock block and vice versa. The top two bellhousing bolts, some blocks will have just the two holes drilled and the gearbox will often have three holes, I don't know which blocks use which holes specifically but I know the hole on the right is always used.

It looks like you'll have to go the adapter plate route if you want to fit a RWD box to the 6A1x series of engine. I knew there was a chance I would have to do this with a 6G72 if I couldn't find a factory Mitsi box which was suitable, but the other factors which made me chose 6G72 is because there were factory RWD mounts, factory RWD thermostat housing and water pipe routing, the internals of the 6G72 are far stronger and more suited to boosted applications, and also the fact you could pick up a 200kW MIVEC 3.0 V6 for less than $500.

Thank you fuel for your in depth reply. Really appreciate all the help you have given me so far.

I admit im no expert when it comes to the mitsi engines but im learning all the time.

Now its time to pull my finger out and get some stuff made.