Truenotch's AW11 Toyota MR2

Truenotch

Ok, so this car was my original play around car from Highschool... I owned it from 6th form until I was 19 and learned the ways of the race track behind the wheel of it.

100_8658.jpg

Eventually it was off the road and was destined to be a race car, but the AE86 coming up for sale changed that. I sold this to Mike-e and got rid of all the parts that were going to go in it (Beams etc).

I haven't had a good road car since.

So a little while ago, E sent me a message to say that it was going up for sale and that I had first option... So, of course, I said yes.

Between the time that I sold it and now, E had fitted a supercharged engine from an AE92 GTZ... But had rushed it and it was in need of wiring and a piping tidy up.

DSCF0732.jpg

DSCF0736.jpg

DSCF0733.jpg

It arrived in Palmerston North on Friday in a sorry state of repair... The wiring was a mess and the engine smoked like a train... It was blown-turbo spec amounts of blue from the exhaust - I don't think the valve stem seals existed. It didn't feel like it went very well at all and the front lip fell off on my way home.

Things didn't feel good, so I parked it on the lawn and left it alone while we worked on the race car.

After the race meeting on Sunday we took the AW to Johns and started to look at the wiring... I wasn't keen on rebuilding the SC engine and John had a Smallport 4AG, ECU and loom sitting there and he offered to swap. I accepted that and we got to work.

We worked away until Tuesday afternoon and had the car running, lights working, gauges going (apart from the tacho) and it was up to WOF standard. Shit it was hard work. A friend of mine ended up scratch building a whole loom and replacing the interior loom because nothing that was on it was worth keeping... The fuse box was burnt out and the loom had a short through numerous wires. There was a Crocodile clip jammed into a female spade terminal and a lot of other issues... All sorted now.

Another issue we found was that the tyres were too tall on the front (205/50/16) and the inside edge of the RF tyre was through to the belts. This is quite annoying an a real shame because the front tyres are Toyo T1R's... What a waste! The LF is still usable because there was less camber dialed into that side but the RF would have popped if driven another few metres. HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE DOING THIS MIKE? The RF tyre was jammed HARD against the spring seat of the RF strut... I drove on it with no idea that it was rubbing and now it's fucked. Good one...

All in all I'm not surprised about the state of the car and mostly can't believe how little thought has gone into everything that is on it. It's ok though, we've got it back to original, NA Smallport working order.

It now has WOF and Reg and needs a wash and a general tidy up... Pretty good going for a couple of days work though.

ADUB.jpg

The smallport is a bit rattly, so I'm getting a set of big ends and mains chucked at it on Friday.

Doorts on.

my bad on the tyres, hadn't driven it on that set/put them on for you :oops: oh well they're probably still better than the ones that came off it. best laid intentions of mice and men etc

choice to hear its back to a good standard, sorry about the hassles!

It's all good mang :D ... Caused a lot of confusion at certain times but we made it in the end. I forgot how well this thing handles! It makes you want to drive it ALL the time.

At the end of the day those wheels and tyres are still worth something, so I'm not worried.

**EDIT** The list that you wrote for the truck driver was hilarious!

aww11.co.nz

Things are everywhere. Keen to go for a burn in one and kill myself into a badly placed pole

:D Please do.

Yeah Ben that drink bottle is choice! I was also happy with the complete roll of insulation tape and the bundle of black zip ties... Oh and the brand new fuel filter!

It's all good. My car is just getting shabbier and shabbier which is really getting to me.

I can't justify the expense to make it tidy. Should follow suit and install stocko-ish motor and sell.

7agte a something else.

Nah hang on to it... You'll struggle to make your money back and there aren't many AW's of that spec and respectability in NZ. Or take the red one back to super stock spec and 7AGTE a rancid one that you can thrash and not worry about :P .

The lip when it first went on:

IMG_3815.jpg

AWjapan1.jpg

Shiat. Good to see you got it sorted so quick! Nice effort.

That's all thanks to CXGPWR for being the man and Napier-Ben for being a wiring machine.

aww11.co.nz

Things are everywhere. Keen to go for a burn in one and kill myself into a badly placed pole

:D Please do.

Yeah Ben that drink bottle is choice! I was also happy with the complete roll of insulation tape and the bundle of black zip ties... Oh and the brand new fuel filter!

Hey don't get me wrong, think they're choice little cars, and yours looks sweet. Plans to revert to churbo, or remain N/A?

I think staying NA will be the best bet... A long time ago the plan was to have this as a quick club car/daily driver and it might be a good idea to re-instate that plan.

So it might end up with mild cams, LSD (looks like that's found now), Good road tyres, 15x8's and a tidier body.

Lol this LSD box comes on the only condition that he has to buy the car too.

Can't wait to dort round the hills with this. I never got to.

This handles real well eh.

Whats the major difference between this and mine?

Was it TRD springs or something?

... Keep in mind that I've been semi on the lookout for C52/56 LSD boxes (for cheap) for about 5 years now... I've had a lot of them snapped out from under etc but will hopefully have this one soon. 8)

yea you get a free lsd when you come pic my aw11 up hahaah

Was it TRD springs or something?

Yeah TRD springs and KYB shocks... It still feels very lively in the front end, so I'd say it's going to be mint on the twisties.

Ed - CXGPWR has all the S/C stuff now and may be attempting to twin charge something....