Holden HQ brake upgrade.

R100

Im wanting to upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes on my 1973 HQ. The main reason for doing this is looks as it stops fine with the standard brakes. I want to fit discs, at least 330mm on front.

Does anyone know what the stud pattern is on my HQ ?

I would like to know if its the same stud pattern as a VT onwards commodore.

Finding brake upgrades for an HQ is pretty useless as there isnt much around. But stuff for later model commys is pretty easy with plenty of off the shelf options.

• Like 1

would have thought 5x120 (at least my HX is) unless HQ's are different (Danger would be able to confirm).

5x120 is still the commodore stud pattern aswell.

Disc break conversions for rear are pretty common, and with the monster motors that get thrown into some kingwoods etc there must be something in the market for larger diamtere fronts.

From memory some statesman's (statesmen?) came with disc rear end - though TM prices seem to be roughly $(1 x arm + 1 x leg)

I already purchased my wheels for it a couple of years ago. Im hoping that the HQ is 5x120, if it is it would make things alot easier.

I dunno what they but from memory they are Chev pattern (imperial so not a metric)

it's actually 5x4.75" which translates to 5x120.65mm - beware you can do damage to your wheel studs by fitting on 5x120mm rims onto 5x4.75" hubs and vice versa.
If thats the case i can get my discs slotted slightly for the rear and fit over the HQ studs. But for the front i will have to change the whole hub assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

The old Chev's and Jag's have the same stud pattern as a Q.

Would be interesting to see if a XJ6 series 2, ventilated Jag disk with the four pot Jag callipers would fit up front. would depend on the stub and bearing setup.