engine wont fire

anhonyb

I put my vauxhall vivas engine back in today everything went fine, finally got to the stage to fire it and it just wont start.

It does even almost start just keeps turning over

there is a good spark at all the plugs and theres gas going into the carb but im pretty sure its not making it to the engine

I took the carb apart and cleaned it all up but the gas still wont go into engine so i don't know whats wrong

ideas? thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

timing out 180 then? cos if it caught fire at the carb it sounds like a backfire through the intake...which makes me want to say the timing is out 180

qft

wft.

i did this and 3 foot flames came out the carby

A mate of mine had a Galant that did that.

The motor had been cooked and it wouldn't fire due to not enough compression.

So if it's got fuel and spark, you haven't touched the timing....give it a compression test. Was the gasket leaking because there was too much pressure in the sump? That's a common cause.

You could have flooded it though, plugs will be wet with fuel.

Steve

timing out 180 then? cos if it caught fire at the carb it sounds like a backfire through the intake...which makes me want to say the timing is out 180

qft

what is qft?

i assumed the engine had work done to it as he said he put it back in..and was at the stage to fire it up...

has everything been hooked up correctly?

i figured this would have been fixed by now...

I reckon timing is out

My sure fire method is turn engine over til timing mark is about 10-15 degrees before lining up.

Check to see if rockers oer rocking and if yes then turn over another revolution

Check points and they should be just opening for number 1, tighten and fire up

other than that another common problem if its points is to large a gap, close it slightly, if not points no probs.

loose valve adjusters? ive had a car that had a valve adjuster come off, did a similar thing to ours, but it does sound more like timing....was your dizzy tight or undone at all?

also check earthing and throttle butterfly operation

dizzy was left as is, throttle butterfly works

so the dizzy wasn't taken out?

The only other time I have had backfires was if the motor was terribly lean but if you put a cap full of petrol down the carb it shouldn't backfire if the time is right. the accelerator pump fuel when? you took carb apart, did you have a spare ballbearing left?

What happens when ya blast engine start / brakleen / carb clean down the carbie while cranking?

Fires up and runs till ya stop spraying?

Or just goes bang / pop / backfire

Pump the carb, do ya see a spray / mist in it? Any fuel in the float bowl?

Yeah. Try stuff and see what happens.