The Shadow Garage Special

Vintage Grumble

Spent all day working on this (first time at home/not in work time) got a little bit done,

Got a carb from the local mower shop, have no idea what its off or what size motor its for, I think it may be a bit small, but will soon see if it runs the motors,

Image011-1.jpg

Got the frame all tac'ed together, will braze/gas weld all the parts you can see/over the mig to give it that vintage look,

Image023-1.jpg

Image024-1.jpg

Also welded the manifold, is a bit half arsed, but adds to the look I guess,

Image025-1.jpg

Slapped some paint on it, will mess it up a bit later to age it a bit,

Image028-1.jpg

Will clean the carb up soon, slap some exhaust pipes on the motors and see if it runs, hopefully in the next few days. Also ordered some new tires, they are a fair bit wider than the ones on the rims now, should make it look less bike like.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this slut running tonight, well got half of it running .......

Image029.jpg

Fired up, sounded chur, then I realised one side wasnt going, shut it down and noticed the coupling half had split. They are made out of shitty porous steel, and it was bored to its max dia, so I think I will make a solid steel link, that should work I guess? Was encouraging that the motor ran so well tho, hopefully they will both run that well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was hoping to have this going by now, but waiting on a mate to bore the new larger coupling out, going to try an interference fit. Hopefully this coupling can handle the immense power! :) The only other things ive got done is fit the new tires, pretty happy with them, they look a lot more motorbikish due to their size, and slapped some handle bars on, will most likely make some new ones, that are more "U" shaped/uprite later on. Also slapped a mud gaurd on the back, it will end up a bit shorter then in the pic,

Image030-1.jpg

Image001-2.jpg

Cheers, yeh tires have made it look a lot better, only down side is they have a gay logo on the other side, may have to sand and paint that patch? And I was thinking about brazing the frame together, to give it that OS look? As it will only have a light/semi rust paint job any way, golden joins may look chur?

Hopefully when I get back to work the coupling will have been done, and I can get stuck into it, if works not to busy.

• 2 weeks later...

Put new coupling on, was slightly longer than the old one, so had to slot a few holes, and "break the welds on my manifold" to make it longer, then covered the gap with sticky tape, and fired it up,

^ Was shot with a cell ph so sound is geh/has no exhaust pipes any ways, but yeh, starts first pop, and runs pretty well, with a bit of a tune should be able to get super low idle and some revs out of it. I'm just happy it runs! :D

OMFG how have i never seen this thread?

that sounds awesome broe. bit of messing with tuning and shit and that'll be a goer.

remember rich is good.

this is so sweet. haggardness is the key. LOVE the manifold, LOVE the frame shape, and lvoe how you're going about this.

I was expecting at the start that you were going to go all out and fuse crankcases together and shit but this is actually far cooler. so simple and so awesome. jsut how it would've been in the 20s :D

• 2 months later...

Not much of an update, but all this talk of velodrome racing prompted me to fish the motor out and give it a tune, still havent sorted out exhaust pipes, so slapped some threaded pipe on for the hell of it, and fired it up. Played around with it for a while and got it running pretty sweet. Its set nice and rich, it blows a nice amount of smoke, back fires like a champ, and idles like a fox!

Only thing that worries me is its fucking heavy, and so am I, hope my frame and rusty wheels can take it! I hope to get the frame welded up this weekend, and mount the motor (even tho I should be working on one of the cars or house, dont tell the missis eh)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...