Chroming alternatives?

My name is Russell

Wanting to get my front 1/4 bumpers looking chrome, but trying to avoid the high costs of chroming.

Was trying to find out about plastic chrome coating, who does it and can it be done over steel / bog? Is it any good? who does it? was thinking there must be some alternatives avalible similar to the way those fiberglass chrome bumpers have been done that are on trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 607289.htm

The stuff from a can is useless.

I still need to actually work out what they would cost to have done properly, have just been recomended to try;

Valley Platers Ltd

* 04-568 5924

162 Gracefield Rd Lower Hutt

also been told that if i weld up the dents and get them into shape so that there is less shapping work required i can save bit of moneys. The problem i have is actualy getting out and collecting quotes when you work 8-5 etc.

(Also I have spoken to signwritters and they said that chrome vinal ect can't be stretched around curves.)

Just called powder coater and he said that you can get a flat chrome finnish, but said if you were after the chrome apearance you would be disopinted. Mabie that would look ok so long as the front and rear matched.

What ever "Chrome coating" has been done on that trademe auction looks fairly good.

shop around chroming isn't that expensive and no alternatives look as good. There is a modern special paint process that a few places have (they can chrome anything with this paint http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html) that looks good but its still almost as expensive as the real thing. I'm currently getting some wheel bands chromed and it was very well priced. Biggest thing with bumpers is the prep to get them straight

electroless nickel is a good alternative, except it exactly replicates the surface its going on (so you have to polish as with chroming, or you can bead blast for satin finish) in the long run its about same as chrome, sept it wont go rusty and its as hard as nails.

if your part is made up of different metals and coatings (like headlight buckets with some bits galv and a couple of copper earth tags) then no problem, deals with all this.

yet to try cheap old school cast alloy but supposedly no problem.

apperenly

1. The part is taken down to the bare plastic.

2. Any breaks or cracks are repaired.

3. The part is impregnated with silver so it will conduct electricity.

4. Then it is built up with copper, sanded and buffed.

5. A nickel-cobalt plating alloy for corrosion resistance is applied.

6. The final stage is the chrome plating.

so its actual chrome

I knew a guy who got his plastic van door handles chromed and they looked good as. Back then (5years ago) it cost more than chroming.. The set of front and rears on TM for $500 is cheap IMO.. Especially seeing as you then have straight bumpers?

Gaz