4AGE Engine Rebuilding question

LingLing

Hi all.

I'm trying to find a 4age engine to rebuild

What ones should I get?

I heared it's best to get a rearwheel drive one. but what cars do they come from?

There are many 20valve sliver top around.

And Today I had a look a 16valve one from ae92 sprinter trueno Apex. Got a smoking bad water pump.

So, any suggestions?

from what i understand, the smallports from the ae92s are the best 4ages so i would grab that 1

But, it's a automatic tho... ae92 is front wheel drive. and why is it better than the old ones(rear wheel drive ones)?

Is the Ae92 4age the red top(the only red part is the 16 Valve letters, the rest is silver)?

Can't see your image.

2nd gen has exposed leads like

http://www.toycrazy.net/mark/pics/25srengbay.jpg

3rd gen has a cover in which the leads run underneath

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/ ... C00009.jpg

Don't rely on the colour of the writing on the cam covers, they can be swapped or painted.

Best way to tell;

first gen: tvis, 3 ribs on intake side

2nd gen: tvis, 7 ribs on intake side

3rd gen: no tvis, smaller intake runners, 7 ribs on intake side

go for a first or 3rd

Depends what you intend to do with it, IMO:

Big port blue top = super easy to slap in a RWD, has good low down grunt, but lowest power out put of the 4ages. not good to turbo because of light internals.

Small port red top = best NA motor to do up if you get the one with the smaller con rods, and if you get the one with the big con rods (same as a ZE) its great to turbo because its strong as shit and has MAP sensor.

Silver top = they are cheap, strong, good NA, and also make a good turbo motor, but have AFM rather than MAP, but you would need an after market ecu any how, so not a prob.

Black top = best standard motor, but pricey, and the con rods are tiny, so not good to turbo, or for high power NA.

Super charged = Best motor to turbo.

Thats a general sort of over view, but I kinda think silver top is the best all rounder and bang for buck.

Thats a bigport red top

so, I want to rebuild it, not good as small port or 4agze then?

How much should i pay for it? complete engine, but auto, water pump is fxxked...

or I can take the whole car, but plate is dead, only good for parts(good condition tho).

are the parts on ae92 easy to sell?

What year is that motor in the pic? Some of the Bigport redtops had a 7 rib block but still had the smaller bearings. Most AE82 ones have the bigger bearings.

Smallport Redtop is the motor to use. They are leaps and bounds ahead of any Bigport or 20v IMO :P .

The smallport is easy to pick out by it's intake manifold, they have 4 runners instead of 8 and no TVIS badge on the top:

image014ta0.jpg