Auckland: Recommended places to go for...

xsspeed

Thought I would slam this up as I started to compile a list myself of places to get quotes/check out for both car and bike gear.

Powdercoating:

East Tamaki Powder Coaters:

3 Parkwood Place

East Tamaki 2013, Auckland

(09) 274 8489

Steel Blasting and Coating:

(09) 836-4456 - Page 52 of Yellow pages

(Also do sand/media blasting)

Sand Blasting: As above plus

Auckland Steel Blast Ltd

(09) 813-1988 - Page 52 of Yellow Pages

40 Bancroft Crescent,

Glendene

Anodising: (More for bmx/push bike parts)

Alert Anodising Ltd

59 Crooks Road,

East Tamaki.

(09) 274-0717

Anyway just thought I'd get the ball rolling, I remember someone recommending a place out west for powdercoating but can't find thread.

also on powdercoating:

Spraywell Industries Ltd

343 East Tamaki Road

East Tamaki

(ask for graham, dont deal with the indian dudes and say you're keen on a cashie)

Tomo powder coaters

09-274 0875

7 Polaris Pl East Tamaki Auckland

Ask for Paul

I have used these two, and East tamki Powdercoaters all over the past few months for work, pricing is always very good but it pays to go to all 3, the benifit of East tamaki Powdercoating is that they do acid dipping cleaning so its fuck all work for you. As far as quality goes, i rated them all pretty similarly

Sandblasting try Good Blastards... they gave me a mean deal to blast a horse trailer frame that and I will quoute the dude from Taumaranui BP ... looks like it has been salvaged off the muoroa attoll... (cheeky cunt!) Quoted like $400 blasted and primed... and they come to you!

Don't go for the cheapest is a good recomendation... I've used Eden Electroplaters by the bike shop on khyber pass. Expesive but they do it right... had a few mates search out the cheapest and it end's up peeling and shit...

Theres also a place in Otahuhu thtas pretty switched on, was talkin to the guy at a car show a while back... was very erm... passionate about chroming old car parts... had to do the old...'hey, thats my mate over there better go...' thing

Bute Auto Collision in brownsbay is pretty choice of rust repairs/dents/panelbeating

Did work on my wagon before it went. Neville is a good bastard through and through.

Yeah they did my Chevini Hatch conversion... fair price I thought (someone else paid after they caused me to crash into a sign post...)

• 4 weeks later...

What people would you guys recommend for a decent price and good work for sandblasting, panel beating and paint up in Auckland or Waikato?

Car's a '72 Datsun 1600, covered in light surface rust and has a few dents and rust spots in the doors and rear guards.

Want a good job done for sure and willing to pay but just don't want to get ripped off!

Cheers

What people would you guys recommend for a decent price and good work for sandblasting, panel beating and paint up in Auckland or Waikato?

Car's a '72 Datsun 1600, covered in light surface rust and has a few dents and rust spots in the doors and rear guards.

Want a good job done for sure and willing to pay but just don't want to get ripped off!

Cheers

The Good Blastards guy gave me a price of 800-1000 to soda blast complete exterior of my Gem wagon. You don't want to sandblast a whole car, it is quite damaging to the steel, OK for the heavy stuff can warp panels though or so I've heard...

No idea about paint... just get several quotes if money isn't an object, otherwise PM Alistair off here, he has a mate who does cashy paint jobs at reasonable rates... couple of oldschoolers have been left happy after recieving his treatment on their rides...

depending on how many you are buying most places will do you a deal if you have the balls to ask

sulco is good, tradezone is pretty good, blackwoods paykels also. Just write up a list of the shit you want to order and give to each one, get a quote and put them against each other

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been reamed by Weber Specialties? Why I have heard excellent revues about their depth of knowledge/expertise etc I have never heard someone say they were good value...

Just picked up a carb I took in for rebuild on my way to pearl jam last friday... the thing looks brand new, all the steel components, springs, screws have been zinc coated, the alloy is all spotless looks like it may have been soda blasted... and the price was more than $100 less than Weber Specs...

Place is called CSL and you will find them at the top of Carlton Gore Rd in Newmarket. My Nikki Gemini Carb cost $250+gst to rebuild. Weber Specs told a friend who took my carb in it would cost $380+gst.

Another bad revue for Weber Specs, another mate took a carb in there and not only paid too much but they took a month to complete the job!

CSL had my carb ready for collection in 3 days (delivered it to him end of business on a friday, was ready Wednesday morning!!)

I also got a price from Weber Specs to rebuild my Weber IDF-40s, (x2) he said $500ea ... CSL were $250ea (must be a flat rate...)

Anyway I'm gana be giving CSL my business, have a 2nd Nikki to get done soon and the IDFs...

These are just opinions, like I say I have heard that Weber guy is epicly the man when it comes to his craft, but I know how old schoolers resent paying too much so now theres a decent 2nd option, theres always been the 2nd option and proibably others too but everyone I've asked has said go to Weber Specs... meh!

yep, ^^^ thats been mentioned before, in the "tradesmen who dont suck" thread, or something along those lines.

the guys at carb specials (CSL) are fucking good at what they do, they dont talk themselves up, they just get on with it, and they will give your car a once over after you've re-fitted the carb to make sure spark and shit is working correctly.

i reckon they charge a fair price, are happy to help you with shit that might not have anything to do with your carb, and are genuinely interested in old shit.

good blokes.