Blowthru Carb Turbo

mx_freak69

I had a 88 suzuki swift with a suck through carb turbo setup, only spent a couple hundred on the whole setup and it only lasted about a month. The turbo has alot of fueling stains on it and the car detonates quite easily before it even starts to open up. Probably worth putting abit of thought into the timing. Did'nt need to change the jet sizes but did add an electronic fuel pump with an adjustable regulator set to around 2-3 psi.

The jets need to be played with I honestly cant remember what they were. I think a 1.4 main on the primary and a 1.8 main on the seconday not sure what the air correctors where. I used a holley reguator modded for boost I bought it like that so not sure what was done to it. You do need to look at timing seriously if its going to be a daily etc mine was just a hack didnt really care it went well and only blew a head gasket once no other damage. I've gone efi now lol :lol:

i've done quite a few differerent carbie turbo setups, the one that went best was the blow-tho SU from a mg montego, and the guys are right power is in the timing... and its the hardest thing to get right because you can tune it using 1-3 gear but then it wont suit the loads in 5th gear and visa-versa

my last blowtho setup with decent size cam i ran a locked dissy at about 18degrees and also used the vac advance running straight off inlet manifold to give it more advance down low and it would be running 18 up top, this depends ALOT on the engine tho

just to note all my turbo engines have died, some a very slow death but all due to bad tuning,(longest lasted just over a year) mainly in the spark area, there is a unit that you can build from jaycar with map sensor etc but its pretty pricy by the time you get all the bits involved

and and you can run suck-tho with a rubber seal turbo but you need to put a second buttifly between the turbo and inlet manifold

Have been reading up on this megajolt ignition buisness. Anyone had much experience with it? Says on their site that it is run off the crank, but I'm thinking a Sierra elec. dizzy would do the same job? :? Looks pretty ideal for what I'm wanting to do. Thoughts/opinions...

dscf0130bh7.th.jpg

dscf0116au5.th.jpg

It's too hard to pressurise the carb when you've got choke & carb cables, carbs are designed to work at atmospheric pressure and they go rich when on boost. The fuel pump also has to be regulated to boost pressure , pretty easy these days with FPRs and tuning is also easier with oxy sensors and knock detectors.

Steve

It's too hard to pressurise the carb when you've got choke & carb cables, carbs are designed to work at atmospheric pressure and they go rich when on boost.

As long as the whole carb is working at the same pressure (ie. use of pressure box) should the system, venturis etc not all operate the same? Similar effect to driving at altitude but reversed i would have thought?

Have been reading up on this megajolt ignition buisness. Anyone had much experience with it? Says on their site that it is run off the crank, but I'm thinking a Sierra elec. dizzy would do the same job? :? Looks pretty ideal for what I'm wanting to do. Thoughts/opinions...

ive just installed one on my old mans pheaton runs fkin awesome, also have got one built ready for my car and have a spare kit in the garage too

they are a hell of a lot more usable than any dizzy set up, you can also have them in map sensor option too so it can read boost :D