not oldschool...but can anyone help?

Beaver

girlfriend has a mitsi libero and the idle fluctuates between like 900 and 2000 at random times....will do it for a while and then start the car again and will go away. have heard of cars doing it before but cant remember what the possible/probable causes are. am thinking air flow meter maybe?

any tips?

cheers

I think when Mitsi's do that its a fucken throttle position sensor.

Best thing to do would be is to sell it and get something less Libero.

well that sounds gay doesnt it lol. nah not selling it, apart from the idle its a sweet car, perfect for what she needs

Oh, idle control valve. definitely worth giving that a clean out too, if you can.

I think you can check for air leaks by taking off the oil cap. If it keeps running you have one, if it stalls you don't. It should get louder too.

Stepper Motor?

These cars have them? My 1990 VR4 would do this when I brought it, turned out to be a stepper motor.

Am told its common.

i have no idea what a stepper motor is.....haha

edit...just wikied that shit, sounds intense

Na, just has a plug going into it and 2 or 3 screws. Its either on the throttle body or next to it.

Edit: Might be the same thing as the idle control thing Brad is talking about

definitely idle stepper motor, it bolts to the throttlebody (two 8mm screws). What usually happens is a coil in the stepper motor will fail and doesn't function like the ECU thinks it should, and keeps going in and out (hence the fluctuating revs)

definitely idle stepper motor, it bolts to the throttlebody (two 8mm screws). What usually happens is a coil in the stepper motor will fail and doesn't function like the ECU thinks it should, and keeps going in and out (hence the fluctuating revs)

ahh i see. so just track down a replacement then? is there a way to test it?