Jamies 3sge Townace fat whale

HighLUX

P1010144.jpg

P1010146.jpg

4Pots.jpg

Diff is a diskbraked F series from an estima, just need a altezza torsen center now.

Got the hiace for the 5 stud front hubs and brakes, plan is to fit them with supercustom disks as they are bigger than std hiace ones (300mm) and the nissan 4pots. Stripping the rest of the van to finance the diff conversion

Will be 5 stud all round after the brake and diff swap so will roll on these till I find suitable rims, any suggestions on rim choice?

P1010145.jpg

Should stop plenty good with new brakes and go sideways with new diff :D

Will I need to upgrade the brake master cylinder with the new brakes since there bigger?

• 2 months later...

So bout a month ago she started using water, motor had only done 28000kms since a rebuild so wasnt sure what to expect when I ripped the head off.

Turns out the head had electrolysis and the water jackets had turned to swisscheese round #1 and #2, got the head welded and all back together and some drumstick decided to do this.

DSC04224.jpg

4wd on the inside lane of a roundabout drifted into my lane and gave the van a kiss, the dropkick took off before I could get his numberplate so got a lovely insurance excess to pay now.

Has now developed a slight miss, plugs lead dizzy and rotor are all new. The heads been skimmed twice now im guessing so the compression ratio is bumped a bit, the plugs are BKR6ES-11 do I need hotter plugs or retard the timing a bit?

any toyota knowledgeable people have any ideas on a brake upgrade for the front end to get it pulling up a bit quicker?

What's there at the moment?

I think I may have mentioned before, But I'm using Townace hubs for front of my Carina, because they have more space at the back for a disc than carina/corona/soarer/etc struts. Then using a Citreon Xantia turbo disc, Facelift SW20 twinpot calipers with a steel adaptor plate.

But if you wanted the factory 10" vented discs you could just bung the hubs/discs from a carina/celica/soarer/ma61/etc straight swap onto there.

Not sure how calipers would fit though, might get lucky and find that they bolt up too.

Been in a few cars with the standard 10" discs in that managed to haul up pretty well at trackdays, although maybe they're a bit lighter than a van.

Can I interest you in a 3SGTE with ecu, loom, afm, alt etc?

Also, how wide is the F series estima diff?

I want a disked one. Would it handle 200kw?

Gen 2 3sgte? What ya wanting 4 it?

Unsure how wide the estima diff is, havnt got round to doing a measure yet will let you know though

Can I interest you in a 3SGTE with ecu, loom, afm, alt etc?

Also, how wide is the F series estima diff?

I want a disked one. Would it handle 200kw?

Gen 2 3sgte? What ya wanting 4 it?

Unsure how wide the estima diff is, havnt got round to doing a measure yet will let you know though

I don't know,

It's probably actually better me selling it complete with the 3sgte fwd boxes for a MR2 repower.

Or you can make an offer.

I think I will shorten a F series.

• 2 months later...

So went from looking like this

DSC04224.jpg

to this

Allfixed.jpg

Good to have it fixed as I can wind the adjustables back down now

Have had a electric thermometer probe mounted in the intake for the last couple off days to see what the intake temps are like.

Theres little room for the intake and pod filter under the seat so it sits behind the radiator.

Engine-1.jpg

Intake temps range from 28degrees up to 52 degrees :shock:

Temps that high cant be good for performance or fuel economy so Im after ideas for a decent cold air intake.

Was thinking of throwing one of these ricey filters in there with some ducting rigged up to the factory cold air intake that runs from the bumper up the passengers chassis rail to where the 2C-T airbox used to be.

102038598_full.jpg

Found these shiny brake discs that will be a straight fit on so will look at getting some when I have the coin

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/343915/toyota/nitrac-drilled-and-grooved-front-brake-discs/nbd275d.html

• 10 months later...

Long time no update...

The extractors were shot from being a shoddy job and ended up like this.

IMG_5860.jpg

Damm evil heat wrap!

That happened last september, its been off the road since then as becoming a dad costs precious money so it took a while to get these made up.

Exhaust1.jpg

Exhaust2.jpg

Nice new extractors, it seems to go better now but its been a while since I drove it and anything seems fast compared to a 3y hilux.

I was curious to how much of a whale it actually is so ran it over the weighbridge at work.

1480kg with about 10l petrol and no driver so shes a bit fat, but its still got all rear interior and a shit ton of useless aircon stuff to strip out to make it doort better.

After what this years Nats looked like im full of motivation and the plans it bring this to Nats next year, the gymkhana looks fun :D

First things to do are get a crack in the intake manifold fixed, fit a pair of $50 Trademe Recaro's and get the spare diff head welded up.

• 1 month later...

Useless picktureless update:

Intake manifold crack has been welded and cleaned teh ICV to hopefully fix the 1800rpm idle

New P/S pump has been fitted

Many hours were spent stripping the loom down and fixing taped poorly crimped joints, now its all cleaned up and taped up nicely

ECU has been shifted from the carpet behind the drivers seat to the compartment under the drivers seat that used to hold a huge and heavy heater/aircon for the rear compartment

Weight reduction has begun and so far $15 worth of aircon crap has been removed

• 4 weeks later...

DSC04948.jpg

:(:(:(

So got it all back together started it up and ran it up to temp, no leaks anywhere then went for a quick blast down the road to see how it was running which it was nicely but when I got back I noticed the top radiator hose was dry so looked under the oil cap and uhhohh it was all milky.

Though it must have a BHG or the head had gone soft again so I whipped the head off to find the gasket was intact and the water galleries in good nick with a little bit of corrosion but nothing getting close to the combustion chambers so Im stumped as to what the problem is.

Guess Il get the head crack tested then put it all back together and hope for the best