master cylinder for a home made pedal box

d.p.n.s

what did you use for the hoses? (between the resevoir and M/C)

I went and had a look. The hose is 'multipurpose' so I guess fuel hose would be fine.

Someone told me that brake fluid softens some kind of hose and leaves you with black rubber gel in the fluid but I can't bloody remember what the bad hose was.

Ask Les Hunter and you are probably going to buy hose tails from him anyway

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mean been playing in the shed and put these together

dsc03140g.jpg

At 1st it was failing as it was jambed hence the previous question then stripped it apart and works a treat.

It gives me a 35mm throw, iv got no idea what i require but will do as you say, give them a tidy up and just give it a go.

Sorry d.p.n.s totally mess n up your thread

Hijacking this thread again

Just found this

dsc03146.jpg

its 13/16" and says x9 at the end?

What would running something like this to the front and rear with a tap for adjusting the rear end be like as to running a bias pedal box?

Would the trow required at the pedal end likely be to long?

Would it mean the breaks are really heavy using something like this without a booster.

Would it even work? Is bias allot better an idea?

I'm guessing i need to to some mathematical calculations to work out the capacity of the front and rear calipers combined etc.

^ That is a tandem M/C already.

You need to do some maths but if you are not careful you will end up like Gaz and Jacob with useless front OR rear brakes due to the bore/stroke mis-match

So of this one i can use to run the front and back brakes? would this be a good / bad idea? / how do i find out etc? don't want to risk getting it wrong so would rather go bias if its more a sure thing of getting it right.

That M/C will run front and rear brakes (semi seperately) but you need to know your piston sizes at the wheels before you know if that M/C is even a good start.

I know I sound like a broken record but when you start messing with front calipers you often need to change rear brakes AND the M/C as well.

No one listens and they spend three days trying to bleed the brakes and then buy new everything and the problem never goes away until they put back on their old 'inferior' brakes and suddenly have a car that stops

V\+

Ok sweet so i need to find out what capacity AP calipers and ae92 calipers require.

I wouldn't have a clue were to find this info will carry on gloogling

What should sort of tolerance should there be i wonder? better to be slightly over at the cylinder i guess.

Still curios as to bias box vs the above. just two diff ways of doing things i guess.

• 3 weeks later...

to add to this.

does anybody know what size masters to use with standard mk2 esky brakes? m16 calipers and rear drums.

i have 5/8th masters in my pedal box now and the brakes are useless so im guessing there the wrong size?

i got my balance bar and master cyls from hrd in mangawhai

to add to this.

does anybody know what size masters to use with standard mk2 esky brakes? m16 calipers and rear drums.

i have 5/8th masters in my pedal box now and the brakes are useless so im guessing there the wrong size?

i got my balance bar and master cyls from hrd in mangawhai

useless as in what?

id go for 5/8th. whats your pedal ratio?

useless as in what?

id go for 5/8th. whats your pedal ratio?

they are very spongy. they work to a certain point then stop getting any better. in other words i cant slow the car down

im pretty sure the ratio is over 5:1. closer to 6:1

nope the masters arnt bottoming out. and the pedal isnt fouling.

the masters are returning all the way.

im thinking the balance may need adjusting?

the car isnt running well enough to drive atm. so i cant test any changes i make.

make sure that the master cylinder is the right one

the reason i say this is ive had a mk1 in the past that had drums all

round and at some point someone changed it to mk2 long boster and discs

but put the mk1 master cylinder and the end of the booster

and they are all good for mk1 drums but not good enough

for discs.

just a thought

dan

• 1 month later...