the " why is my auto being gay question "

FLAWLES

right-e-o

my auto trans plays up when its mega cold, doesnt want to select forward or reverse warp drive

its been like this ever since i put a trans cooler on

now

when i put the trans cooler on i started the car up, let the engine and trans get warm while selecting 1 2 3 and D holding it in gear for about 2 to 5mins in each gear

stoped the car

put it back down on the ground, checked fulid levels and topped up again

but nah

its fine when its warm, but it takes a while for that to happen, cause you can sit there in the drive way and rev the tits of it ( with in reason ) and go no where

any ideas?

i should just ring sam lol

did you add extra fluid to allow for the added capacity?

Maybe a thermostat would stop your issues when cold by preventing fluid from circulating when cold.

that i did brew

and the factory trans cooler set up ran directly into the radiator, this idea was jut to move the cooler away from the rad to aid with cooling, weather or not they have a factory thermostat in the lines i dont know, and would have to say maybe no they dont

could it be the new cooler is some sort of restriction on the system so the internal oil pump isn't able to get the line pressure it needs to engage the solenoids/shift gears etc? and once it warms up the fluid is a bit thinner and flows just enough to be fine? have you tried bypassing the aftermarket cooler to see if it works fine again? also is this new cooler in series with the existing radiator trans cooler or have you bypassed that entirely and plumbed in the aftermarket one instead of the factory one?

my point is it's obvious your aftermarket trans cooler is the problem and maybe you should revert to the factory one for now, until you can sort out the cause (either blocked flow, overcooling etc)

REOW!

Sounds to me like it needs a thermo switch of some description, alternatively plumbed in series. Doesn't sound like it would be a big drama regardless. Can't imagine it would hurt to have it in series.

Na they should still shift ok bone cold (like still be pretty smooth in -ve temperatures), I doubt it is a fluid temperature issue. More likely a flow issue or the cooler had crap in it and your valve body isn't happy about it. Revving it and it not going anywhere sounds like a fluid flow issue to me remove that cooler asap that's the obvious first step to try sort the problem

fuck wrote a post and then window cleared when I hit submit/maybe I did cancel

anyway

If its a resistance problem, setting the cooler in series with the radiator one will only increase the resistance.

Agree with spencer re taking coil off and trying again with 'stock' arrangement to make sure that the problem is or isnt still there.

Probably a good idea to give the gbox oil a replace as well, just incase there is some crap floating around.

I would then check your oil viscosity, then flow, and then maybe look at the thermostat switch.

nah in the factory oil cooler theres no temp sensors there.

what i think is the go is this..........having thought about it with some food in my tummy

the factory cooler is at the bottom of the rad ( inside it )

i have added another 300mm of hose on the inlet and out let ports to connect the new cooler up to the old trans lines, and to this all off its mounted higher up on the outside of the radiator

so what i think the cause and effect is that after time the transfulid is slowy draining back into the trans, cause remember i drive this car about 2 days a month at the mo,so on stat up it has to move the fulid back up the lines to the cooler and then back to the trans

with out knowing on how fast the pump flows on the a/t i dont know how fast the fulid flows

adding the new cooler in series with the old cooler in my mind would most likely do the same things

Potentially added too much head to the pump, but I doubt it.EDIT: actually this is highly unlikely, as we are talking 50cm ish

Still seems odd that you cannot slelect gears when you start, as even in normal setup the oil will still be just as cold.