clutch help...wont disengage

Beaver

long story short....if the release arm is moving through its full range of travel, but the clutch is not disengaging, what are the possible problems? have removed g/box and taken off clutch cover and pressure plate, visual inspection shows no issues, re-assembled, and still not disengaging....

is it possible the the clutch plate is 'seized'? ie when the release bearing pusing on the forks, its no remving the presure from the presssure plate?

car is mk2 cortina is it makes a difference.

any suggestions would be great, have pend the last 5 hours tying to get it working

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been sitting for awhile? Had the same happen with my hillman, it had seized up from sitting around for ages.

Fixed it by ripping the handbrake up hard, in neutral, engine running, clutch in and slamming it into gear. Should break it free / break something else. Worked fine for me though, if it doesn't the engine will just stall. May take a couple of attempts to free it up

yeh i it has been sitting for a while, as the gearbox got replaced and hasnt been working properly since then (i just got it). we tried freeing it up by having the tyres just off the ground and starting in gear and pumping the clutch over and over but with no luck. will try the handbrake technique, but its bloody hard to grab a gear once its running, reverse seems the only option and only goes in with a nasty crunch. will give it a go though.

anyone got any other thoughts? cheers

sweet. i would of thought that would only work when the pressure plate is stuck to the flywheel? since ive taken everything off, this shouldnt be the cause....nothing looked noticibly rusted/stuck or anything either...im sure it must be something to to with the clutch cover and the forks, as i dont see how the pressureplate would cause this...i even tried it with a spare pressure plate and no change.

fukn pissing me off haha.

is the clutch fork on the right side of the release bearing. I dont even know if its possible to get it on the wrong side on these.......and the pedal would be non existant if it wasnt. im just over tired and attempting to study and just rambling. what engine gearbox combo you running? dunno if it will help but meh. fuck, tha was alot of words to say nothing. might roll bed :lol:

good luck

Does the clutch feel like it's working correctly? And you took the whole clutch assembly apart and put it back together and it still isn't working?

If it's hydraulic have ya bled it? Or adjusted correctly?

Can't think of anything else

to begi with we bleed the clutch, felt a lil soft but not outrageous, and then adjusted the rod from the slace cylinder to get more travel. still didnt work. so we removed the slave cylinder all together, and used a well placed jack (dont laugh haha) to move the clutch fork into the position where the clutch should be completely disengaged, ie as far as it would go. it still didnt work, but at least it removed the hydraulic system as the culprit. so it must be something to do with the clutch mechnism its self, and since a pressure plate is so simple, and i used two different ones, i see the only option is the clutch cover...but yeh i dont know why it wouldnt work.

i dont know enough about release bearings to tell if its stuffed or not, but the contact surface freely spins (ie the bearing part) and it seems to be in working order so yeh...im stumped.

am going to borow another clutch cover off a mate, and try that. it has also been sitting for a while but yeh...worth a try.

was kinda hoping someone would see this and be like oh yeh its the ****** or whatever haha

is the clutch plate facing the right way, there is a flywheel side and a clutch face side, i would say you have it the wrong way around and it is jammed in there.

nah we put it on the right way as it said "flywheel side" on one face....

going to try again tonight with a different clutch cover and will double check that everything is around the right way

Hmmm.

I suspect you have the wrong pressure plate or the wrong sized pilot bearing in the crankshaft for the gearbox input shaft nose.

Does the pressure plate have a thick steel ring on the end of the diahgram fingers? The ring I am talking about is what the release bearing should run on.

Have you still got the Hunter? A Hutner pressure plate will bolt straight onto the Cortina flywheel and is a fantastic upgrade if you have more than standard HP. I have put close to 160hp through the Hunter units

Hmmm.

I suspect you have the wrong pressure plate or the wrong sized pilot bearing in the crankshaft for the gearbox input shaft nose.

Does the pressure plate have a thick steel ring on the end of the diahgram fingers? The ring I am talking about is what the release bearing should run on.

Have you still got the Hunter? A Hutner pressure plate will bolt straight onto the Cortina flywheel and is a fantastic upgrade if you have more than standard HP. I have put close to 160hp through the Hunter units

i think im getting confused as to what the pressure plate is...i thought the pressure plate sat against the flywheel, and the the clutch cover over that (clutch cover has the fingers) and the the release bearing comes in contact with the fingers of the clutch cover??? or am i confusing my self?

any nah i dont have the hunter anymore...

hmm seems i have been confused about what is what haha, i spose i have to learn sumday. so the pressure plate is what bolts to the fly wheel, and the release bearing pushes against the "fingers" on the pressure plate....that sound right? if so, then so, there is no ring where the release bearing comes in contact with the fingers