Quick Q concerning painting satin

Gaz

Time to paint the next car in the shed, the Chevette. If I was to paint in a satin type paint would I need primmer? When ya paint matty B ya dont so is this the same when painting with Satin.

I am using a bit of bog so main concern would be over the bog.

Gaz

matty b doesn't need primer? not when spraying with supercheap spray cans maybe!

a paint job is only as good as the prep work gone into it, being satin there will be a semi-gloss aspect to the finish which will no doubt show up all the little scratches, pin holes and joins in the bog.

definitely lay down a coat or two of primer man

Gaz budget matte paint job is done with tinted primer it doesn't seal and fucks out in no time. A good matte paint job is done with a flattened top coat, acrylic lacquer,2k what ever you choose. The satin look is just flattened top coat with less of the flattening agent than used to make a complete matte finish. You paint it like a normal paint job primer then top coat.

There's a lot to getting it right so you either need a clued up paint mixer or buy some of the flattening agent and try different proportions until you get it how you want

It takes VERY LITTLE matting agent.

Just prime it, rub it back as per usual, de-grease, and satin over it as if it were a gloss coat. Its the same thing.

Olny you have to watch for overspray (as you cant cut it out like a gloss) and remember to overlap your coats by half each run.

Yeah was a stupid question which I realised bout 10mins after posting in the car. Deff need it over the bog and bare steel!

So next question.. Is "BASE COAT ACRYLIC LACQUER" enamal? Its damn cheap! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... ermanent=0

Whats the downside of painting in enamal? Ive always had people tell me not to but damn, its soooo much cheaper!

Gaz

Yea basically go into a paint shop and get acrylic lacquer its an older paint but its no way near as shit as enamel (and its cheap don't get trademe paint), next step up would be flattened 2k which is an all around better paint harder and more durable but harder to paint and harder to get the flat look right.

what car is it? Acrylic lacquer will do for a short-medium term paint job I'd go better if it was a keeper. I'm going to try satin 2k on the criz, or maybe buy some hot-rod flatz (a brand) already mixed satin its not cheap but looks amazing

Nobumps is well experienced at flattening paint himself hes looked into all the options, if he sees this topic that is

Yeah Ive talked to him bout the flattening before. Im not so worried bout flattening it more want a cheap paint to paint with that aint shit. I was/am going to use 1k and flatten it, but its $200 odd for 4l. That trademe shit is soo damn cheap I could play round flatening it myself!

Car is a chevette 2 door sedan.

Gaz

Yeah seems that way. Think may just go with 1k expensive. Hadnt thought of tinting primer but good idea. Might just sell some shit and do it right.

What happnes when I flatten metalic 1k?

The colour we are prob going for at this stage is a chocolate metallic brown. Similar to the standard 'Saddle Tan' colour but a bot darker. Its a 1k mettalic and is $180 for 4l. Flattening is free.

Would it not be better to flatten myself at home and just keep adding/testing untill it suit. Prob is the guy at paint shop says we need a clearcoat with the 1k metallic. He also said he can/will have to flatten that down too.

Gaz