race rubber

FLAWLES

after the track day and talking to a few pple i have been conviced i need some track tyres

but what type/compound etc

i had a set of dunlop targa slicks and although i never used them they went mega hard fast and were rather crap

can anyone recko anything?

i can get my hands on Kuhmos for cheap and i do remember uj saying that s700/v70a are sweet but want to here some other pples thoughts

im looking in 17" tyres too

I'd say for track days like ours get what fits your budget for now aye try and get new if you can then you know what the tyres been through wont be hard etc. Can you price up those kuhmos in an 18 for me?

I smoked my RA1's that day more than I ever have before, fuck the lsd made it so much more easier to push

I don't have much experience with them so can't really provide help with whats best as far as compounds etc go, but all I can say is keep an eye on trademe and try and buy recent or current styles, as the tyres seem to change styles every few years and this will help to reduce your chance of getting something old and shit.

I think tyres in 17 inch aren't too expensive as theres a few race series that use them (if you are going slick) and alot of the larger targa cars also run them if you are going for semi-slick.

My Dunlop 195/50/15 Formula R D01J were only $200 for a set of 4, which I picked up off trademe after watching auctions for a few months just cheaking what pops up now and again. They seem to be still soft and offered quite good traction, so I was pretty happy with them.

yeah I absolutely smoked my RA1's too, especially the front right tyre - they had 80% tread at the start of the day. The Direzza DZ02J's held up sweet on the rear, and my Advan A048's I had the previous trackday on the front held up well with not so much wear but still heaps of grip.

Toyo R888s are meant to be good too but don't know about their longivity on the track.

I think Brad's Dunlop D01J's held up good on his Chevette also.

toyo R888's are tops.

i have herd a rumor that they are only going to be making them for another 2 months.

Brendon at A1 turbos swears by Bridgestone Adrenalins, he said that he's tried everything else and the bridgestones are by far the best. they are a road tyre that has mega grip when you push a bit but dont wear out like a slick. ive spoken to a couple of tyre guys and they give me the same answer.

ive never used them but i intend to.

Was talking to they guy who drove the green beast, says the pro 7 guys now run R888's he said they feel alot better that the RA1's (which have mint grip but tend to feel abit squishy) but they can produce the same lap times on them. Got a similar story from they guy who did my alignment they get the RA1's and mow the tread off them just to remove the squishy feeling once the tread blocks get hot.

Any other size 18's jarred?

Also just checked on toyspeed what times baz did when he won super lap on track 2, 1.16 :shock: fuck thats quick wonder what tyre hes on

Bridgestone Adrenalins would be the way to go, I have never herd anything bad about them. Semi slicks are mean in the dry, but can be super cunty in the wet, and if your only gonna race it a few times a year, just get good road rubber, saves you changing wheels, and much better in the wet, also last longer then semi slicks. I dont think its worth the extra coin for semi's ayy.

Also just checked on toyspeed what times baz did when he won super lap on track 2, 1.16 :shock: fuck thats quick wonder what tyre hes on

Was that in the A1GP format with those cunty cones up before the second to last corner? I reckon that would easily take off a second or 2 if those weren't there, as they weren't for our first outing on track 2.

Was that in the A1GP format with those cunty cones up before the second to last corner? I reckon that would easily take off a second or 2 if those weren't there, as they weren't for our first outing on track 2.

I could do a 1:22.6 on the track we raced on Friday, and with the tighter corner at the end of the side straight was more like a 1:24, so yeh, about 2 secs faster.

yea atm im all about budgeting

Buy some of that stuff the go kart guys use which softens tyres up, then use existing tyres you have. Gotta be best $$$ & Im keen as to know if it works well etc. Would be a good first step for cheap as?

Gaz

dont think youd wanna soften road tyres up, theyre not made 2 have heat put into them like the rubber compounds of a slick, they go to jelly as opposed to providing grip. they probably use it on older slicks that havent been used for a while and have gone hard.

go kart guys arent allowed to use that stuff anymore so maybe hard to get or cheap if someone has left overs.

+1 for that track being a couple seconds slower with those cones on second to last corner, without them at the dual sprints I did 1.19