4g63 narrow vs wide block

bubblegoose

A good way to check if it is indeed a turbo block, is if its got oil squirters at the bottom of the bores.

yeah but all that tells you is that it's a turbo block which could be Starion, VR-4, Eterna, EX Lancer, Galant, Sigma etc - he wants to know how to tell a wideblock apart from a narrowblock, cause he wants to make sure this converted N/A engine is indeed a converted one (therefore narrowblock which will bolt to his gearbox) rather than a wideblock which wont.

As a rule of thumb:

Turbo + North/South orientation = wideblock

all others (including East/West orientation Turbo) = narrowblock

There are exceptions to the rule though, some 4G52s and 4G54s are wideblock depending if auto or not, and some later model 4G64 van engines are wideblock also.

one good thing with the wideblocks is you can use an RX7 s7 gearbox and a bell housing from a b2600 mazda ute and it all bolts 2gether.Some l200s are wideblock N/A too.ive never come across a wideblock N/A 4g63 tho so i dont think they very common

so my gearbox from astron engine is a wideblock therefore somebody who wants to put starion turbo engine in there car would theoreticly want my gearbox and exchange a narrowblock gearbox for it??? :lol:

Like I said in that other thread - the spacing between the TOP two bellhousing bolts does not determine if it's wideblock or narrowblock. It just means the gearbox you have from one engine family/year isn't going to fit on another different type engine.