turbo not spooling

might_e_mowse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BAD WAYNE

at no point should a turbo have more resistance to spin at idle than when the car is off

... are you tring to spin it against the ex flow of with it

and finally... just reiterate your issue here. ....it dont boost at all ?? it dose boost ??.. what size motor ... what type of turbo is it

BAD WAYNE

at no point should a turbo have more resistance to spin at idle than when the car is off

Again, pretty normal, the oil pressure fills the spaces in the bearings and puts a load on the seals.

The way to check of course is like anything else...... compare it with a good one.

Steve

BAD WAYNE

Again, pretty normal, the oil pressure fills the spaces in the bearings and puts a load on the seals.

The way to check of course is like anything else...... compare it with a good one.

Steve

what seals are they steve ? what presure do you think a turbo see's in side its housing ?

and yes they float the bearings witch in turn makes it easier to spin .. its amazing how a little oil can reduce friction

missinformation is more of a hinderance than a help

ok well i have made some sort of headway.

I changed the oil to a 10w40, it didnt make a difference. BUT i took the oil line out of the turbo and ran the car just at idle and revd it a little bit, the turbo spun perfectly. At idle it stil doesnt spin but if you rev it at all it starts to rotate.

Surely this indicates that the oil pressure is wrong doesnt it??

Any ideas??

if it has much pressure it will have shitpiles of drag

if it did have a bb restrictor it woudl atually spool better

turbo's dont run on pressure they just require flow ..... what size is your line ??

also what was the other motor it ran fine on and what parts are different to yours ?

cheers

At a guess i would say the id of the feed would be 5mm? It has no restrictor.

I see in that pic that the afm is blow through, the plastic cover on it will pop off and bleed air.

I could come have a quick look at it, even if its just to get more info for the other guys here?

if it has much pressure it will have shitpiles of drag

if it did have a bb restrictor it woudl atually spool better

turbo's dont run on pressure they just require flow ..... what size is your line ??

also what was the other motor it ran fine on and what parts are different to yours ?

cheers

Im not sure what size it is but its 7mm O/D and says 'speedflow -3' on the fittings. So a restrictor would be the way to go?

It was off a 1ggte same as mine and as far as im aware it was stock as is mine.

missinformation is more of a hinderance than a help

Like I said, If you did a comparison to a "good" one you'd realise it's perfectly normal.

As far as misinformation goes, you're the one who'se the keyboard warrior with no experience.

As far as the actual problem goes, there isn't one apart from the fact that you're trying to do an upgrade with the wrong turbo, the end result being a downgrade, like just about every other twin to single conversion.

Steve

As far as misinformation goes, you're the one who'se the keyboard warrior with no experience.

As far as the actual problem goes, there isn't one apart from the fact that you're trying to do an upgrade with the wrong turbo, the end result being a downgrade, like just about every other twin to single conversion.

Steve

Unkeen to stick up for wayne because hes a cunt, but as for him being a keyboard worrier with no experience. He may not be very articulate and resorts to swearing at cunts but hes rebuilt a shit load of turbos and built some serious turbo cars this shit is his job. All you do is beat around the bush and cause arguments not one of your posts offers a sugestion or solution for this dude to try. Why do you bother

ffs is there any tech thread that both are you are in which doesn't end up going downhill?

absolutely not.

To add to the above, there are always air leaks in the intake. The way to sort that out is to block the air intake (the actual intake itsself) then use one of the vac attachments on the manifold to hook up an air compressor..... pressurise the whole intake from the actual air intake itsself right through to the valves..... you'll hear air escape somewhere.

Steve

. Why do you bother

Makes me wonder sometimes

Some people are just too thick to help. They think they can redesign (and improve) something that the manufacturer spent millions on getting just right. They don't even have basic analytical skills...... comparison between good and bad.

Over and out.

Steve

Yea well the ct12's on toyota twins are hardly optimised hell they went single on the 1jz range at the end of its life and it was a better performer all around. Most single conversions on toyota gear are because the twins are shot and they cost a fortune to repair. I cant comment if hes looked at compressor maps and matched this turbo to his engine.

Thats besides the point, My point was that you go off on tangets like the turbos to big and drop one line remarks that point the thread in the wrong direction. I know our tech threads may not be up to your standard but we have some guys that need some help and you never seem to offer anything constructive.

Check your oil pressure to the turbo, as it could be too high as others have said. Do ya know if its ball bearing? Also (copy and pasted :lol: ) the oil outlet should be plumbed to the oil pan above the oil level (for wet sump systems). Since the oil drain is gravity fed, it is important that the oil outlet points downward, and that the drain tube does not become horizontal or go “uphill” at any point.

I don't know jack about turboes but it does sound like the oil pressure is jamming something up. Maybe even check to make sure no crud has gotten into the oil feed and is jamming the journal when the pressures on? How much resistance is there on the wheel with the oil feed on, and what is the oil flow out of the turbo like?

Load the engine up at high revs (i.e b-owts) and see what happens with the boost. Also, add more marmite

. Why do you bother

Makes me wonder sometimes

Some people are just too thick to help. They think they can redesign (and improve) something that the manufacturer spent millions on getting just right. They don't even have basic analytical skills...... comparison between good and bad.

Over and out.

Steve

Manufacturers spend millions on compromise, not peak performance. Just because it's a factory item, doesn't automatically make it better than something else. It depends what you're trying to achieve.

What you've personally offered in this thread. Until you were challenged, was nothing. You refer to Wayne as a "keyboard warrior" even if that was the case, at least he's contributed or at least attempted to resolve the problem. You're just being a "forum troll".

If you want to help, then actually help. Snide remarks about what you consider to be better without any resolution to the guys problem doesn't help anyone and just makes you look like a jackass and makes it look like our forum is filled with righteous retards.

Either help, or shutup.

Cheers,

-Michael

As I think has been mentioned, make sure there is oil flowing through ie unplug the drain line and make sure oil flows through..then just hook up a boost gauge and go for a fang. Depending on the spec of the turbo (t3/t4 doesnt really tell you much) its entirely possible that the 1G just wont be able to spool it very well.