wiring tacho, quick question

Beaver

hey guys, just picked up a tacho for the hunter. its got 3 wires, red black and green and was just wondering if anyone could let me know which goes where? ive had a look around, and the best ive got is red goes to positive coil, green negative side, and balck ground. does this sound right? thought one of them would be lights...brand name is swoosh if that matters

any ideas?

well it all goes and lights up when the keys are turned, does a sweet light up full rev swing at first which its aws lol. but it says that im reavving to 8500.....which it shouldnt be lol so yeh is trhere anything that i should check that causes this? would it mater if i got the wires on the coil around the wrong way? it also has a switch on the back with 3 settings, would this be 4, 6 , 8 cylinder? it has no markings

I put a tacho in a Triumph 2500 last year. It over read like yours is doing. I had to wire a diode into the the wire to the coil in order to cut down the other electrical impulses so it read correctly. I'm not that flash with electricity so the explaination above is a little hazy and I'm afraid I can't remember what rating the diode had. I'd grab a handful of diodes from Dick Smiths and have an experiment