bleeding brakes

WildPlumDx

ok so ive just replaced my front rotors and re-kitted my brake calipers got new pads too, fitted everything and bleed the system with pipe and bottle so can see that the airs getting out etc well no air in the system as far as i can see but the pedal is still spungey as still goes to the floor bleed from the furtherst to the closest from the master cylinder done everything right but still have this problem? ive now done the process 3 times and it hasnt got any better? i mean i did have the calipers right off and stripped so they went on empty as no fluid from the start ? also car sat for like 2-3 weeks with no calipers with the hose in mid air with plastic bags tied on them so it had ages for air to get into the system but like i say ive bleed the system 3 times and seems to be no air in them? i'm really confused at why its still like this have i done something wrong ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

weird I had all my brakes off while I was doing the suspension and it took no more than a 500ml bottle to re-bleed the whole system. I started on the rear passenger and pumped a good reseviour amount of fluid through, then went on the other side and it didn't take long for the air pockets to come through and to disappear. Same with the fronts. There must be air getting in your system somehow, or perhaps the fluid went empty in the reseviour while you were pumping it?

On a simpler level, are you using a one-man bleeder tool? Or are you getting someone to close off the valve on the caliper/drum every time you bring the brake pedal back up in travel, then re-opening the valve as you push the pedal back down?

bled the master cylinder? that can cause massive headaches.

also try going from closest to the furthest but i don't think that'll help fuck all.

and last but not least some master cylinders and systems need to be reverse flushed for them to be completly free from air bubbles , i doubt that's the problem but i've had to do it more then one occasion .

yeah i did furthest to closets and never heard of bleeding master cylinder ? also whats this about pressure bleeding them tortron? dont quiet understand?

same way as you bled the rest , there should be bleed nipples on the mastercylinder , bleed them in the same way you bled your brakes.

Hey

One of you calipers isnt leaking break fluid at all is it? For you to be bleeding it and the pedal to keep going to the floor there is some form of leak. Doesnt have to be an Air leak. But something isnt right.

I would be checking both calipers and lines for leaks. If all else fails look to the master cylinder do what you can with that and if it still not working.

Go buy a new master cylinder

Mike

couldnt see any nipples on my master cylinder but there is about an 8mm Philips grub screw in the side towards the end of the cylinder ? that system sounds interesting tortron may have to do it

grub screw could be there for bleeding.

for fucks sake dont take that screw out. it is there to hold the front plunger spring in tension, if you take it out you'll have to disassemble your master to get your plunger back into place correctly.

you can bleed the master by getting someone to hold some pressure on the pedal then cracking off the brake line fittings until you see fluid coming out around the pipe.

quite often there is air trapped in this part of the system and it makes the rest a bastard to bleed.

sheepers.

bleed the master cylinder this time and all brakes when i was bleeding no air what so ever came out and yet again still have this problem its beyond me cant see any leaks so gonna have to take it too someone, it goes sweet then once you leave it awhile or start it up it just goes soft as hell again but yeah i have no idea whats going on :?

oh great well i dunno if its that but i also tried pulling the calipers off well lifting them up as if you where to change the brakes and pumped the brake so the piston comes out and it comes out sweet the seals look good, then got the g clamp pushed them back in, the fluid in the master cylinder didnt bubble, just the level of fluid went up as i pushed the piston back so that shows there no air in the lines right ? did that on both sides, everything looks good, i'm stumped as to whats going on :?