Alternator upgrade

Snoozin

So...

I'm planning on some relatively serious audio in the Trump, just because I can, and I miss having a sub(s).

The current Lucas alternator I suspect will not be up to the task... the lights dim substantially at idle, and I've been over and cleaned up all the earths on the chassis and the engine, to no avail.

So... to be on the safe side I'd like to upgrade to something higher current, however I've never done anything like this that wasn't a straight bolt on (I put a later model Bosch alt on the Alfa which was a straight bolt on and plug in type affair).

So... the bolting on part is easy, I can work that out myself. Electrically wise, is there anything I need to watch out for? Is introducing a higher current alt to the system going to run the risk of frying anything? Current alt is internally regulated so will be replaced by something that is the same.

Any advice is welcome :)

if yoru alternator is internally regulater no you can use a 500000000 amp one if you like as long as its internaly regulated as well

as for mounting ...thats dependint on you and your skill

generally its easier to get one that mounts on the same side with wider pivot mounts and just space it with a pile of washers ... or a bit of tube if you wanna get more advanced

people say these days dont get a cap ... well i say do

its puts less work on the regulator so your setup lasts longer

+ use a optima battery and you will be sweet

just my 2 cents

^ What he said.

Already being IR gives you a myriad of modern ones too choose from. The only problem I can imagine will be matching up what wires go where on the rear of the alternator, so in other words, it shouldn't be a difficult task at all. Just find something 80-90A maybe higher with similar mounting points and fucking BANG!

Are you sure it's IR? That doesn't sound nearly British enough.

if yoru alternator is internally regulater no you can use a 500000000 amp one if you like as long as its internaly regulated as well

Sweet that's basically all I wanted to know, cheers boe.

I have 70A Alfa Bosch ones here that will almost be a bolt on fit.

It doesnt matter if you have a 50 amp or 100 amp alternator really - the alternator will only pump out as many amps as it needs to keep the battery topped up - the wiring from the alt to the battery in theory should be fairly grunty but if you are worried - upgrade the wire and if externally regulated it may need a gruntier regulator