Ignition ECU

Brock-Lee

Okay, As discussed in spam last night I am looking to setup an Ignition only ECU for my (soon to be turbo) A15, I have been doing a bit of research around the net and came across a few articles on the ford EDIS setup and using megaspark/jolt/squirt'n'spark units to control your ingnition map.

Has anybody setup an ignition only ecu on their engines?

Was it a worthwile conversion?

I know its not gonna be that cheap but the benefits I can see seem to be huge- Fully controllable ignition map, boost retard/advance, If I run the squirt'n'spark it leaves me with the option of going to fuel injection later on, saves me from just locking the dizzy.

Any comments or advice on how to go about this or things to avoid would be much appreciated.

Dave.

I'm goona use Megasquirt and GM LS1 coil packs. I got them for next to nothing off eBay. Looks pretty easy to hook up because they have all the fancy electronic shit built in so just need one wire from the ECU if I remember correctly. I haven't done it yet though.

I can't remember. I think you need to mod it a little bit (like a couple of resistors and wires or something) and run different software. I think the software's MSExtra. Google that shiz. I can't find the tip for my soldering iron so haven't done anything on it for ages :lol:

if you buy the v3 ms board dont worry about all that ms'n spark shit thats from fucking ages ago. the new board has all the shit in it to work with all sorts of pick ups and as pete was getting at you just fun the extra code. Setting p spark on a ms is one of the harder parts once its sorted you may aswell have efi'd the engine because carb turbos suck

you may aswell have efi'd the engine because carb turbos suck

I just thought I better point this out again incase you missed it :D

Theres 2 or 3 guys on oldschool alone that I can think of who have had carb turbo setups and have ditched soon after because it was pretty crap. If you're using an ECU you may aswell just use injection aswell. I was going to use bike carbs on my chevette engine but I couldn't get spark without a crap dizzy setup or an a/m ecu so I got a g3 and injected the bitch. So happy I did.

Yea, I was gonna just setup the megasquirt for ignition only for the time being and then add fuel injection later on. I suppose it would save me a few headaches if I converted it to injected turbo up front. Will have a think about it anyways.

Keep ideas and suggestions coming plz

I'm sure the stock ignition can make sufficient reliable HP, more than what the bottom end can handle.

Steve

I would have to lock the dizzy or get it recurved to be able to run a turbo setup. And that curve would only work for a specific boost. And at best it would be a guess to what the ideal advance/retard is required at Xrevs and Yboost. With a ECU controlled ignition I can have ideal advance/retard the whole time.

Theres 2 or 3 guys on oldschool alone that I can think of who have had carb turbo setups and have ditched soon after because it was pretty crap. I

Zep's gemini was carb turbo, ran like shit! Partly because to had the most wild N/A cam in it, but off boost it was almost undrivable. When boost came on the manifold pressure was higher than the fuel pressure and also blew fuel through the carb gaskets. I think he ended up will 200km per tank of petrol :lol:.

So many small problems with it. Now with the Link and setup properly leaves my car for dust!

If I was gonna go carb turbo there is no way id go for blow through. you have to make a meke fuel system and you keep blowing seals out of carbs. suck through is so gold. running a 2" SU and water injection can put a heap of boost into a stock a series. Guy in tasmania is running a 30pound setup suckthrough. is insane.

For the effort of blow through you may as well go efi. but suck through is just so damn easy

I would have to lock the dizzy or get it recurved to be able to run a turbo setup. And that curve would only work for a specific boost. .

Don't know where you got that from?

Maybe some shark trying to make a sale on an ECU?

Steve

If I was gonna go carb turbo there is no way id go for blow through. you have to make a meke fuel system and you keep blowing seals out of carbs. suck through is so gold. running a 2" SU and water injection can put a heap of boost into a stock a series. Guy in tasmania is running a 30pound setup suckthrough. is insane.

For the effort of blow through you may as well go efi. but suck through is just so damn easy

A wise man once said "Remember, boost is a measure of restriction, not power"

In a suck through system, the biggest cause of restriction is at the carby.(in fact the carby can be sized to give effective boost control without needing a wastegate) That's before the turbo, So, if it's putting out 30PSI, it's doing extremely well.

Steve

Don't know where you got that from?

Maybe some shark trying to make a sale on an ECU?

Steve

dude if you read the post instead of your one line magic hes looking at a solder yourself ecu sold over the internet. Theres no salesmean for these things there for the diy guy who's trying to save some coin. Even though the advance curve would probably be modest on his factory carb with a suck through setup on god knows what manifold his fueling to each cylinder will be far from precise. I'd be wary of running the stock system.

Get the V3 maybe edis its by far the system to setup bar making the vr pickup. EFI is going to be easy to setup and you'll learn heaps of shit along the way

the ms2 just sits in the socket of the ms1 board its a plug in thing it does have some better spark features but you wont need them run the extra code on ms1 and you'll be sweet. Just gotta be keen to sort it out alot of people give up