Ignition ECU

Brock-Lee

I'm in the middle of sorting out wasted spark on my Gemini engine I'm running a ms1 with the extra code. Hardest part so far has been finding the best/easiest way to trigger it all. I found a dizzy that fits with a wheel that the ms1 can read so that was good no having to mess around mounting sensors on the crank etc.

Don't know where you got that from?

Maybe some shark trying to make a sale on an ECU?

Steve

dude if you read the post instead of your one line magic hes looking at a solder yourself ecu sold over the internet. Theres no salesmean for these things there for the diy guy who's trying to save some coin.

Hey dude.....anyone who's done a carby turbo conversion knows.

The original question was...... is it worth it...... the answer in no.

If you want to save some coin AND make it run well, stick with the original setup and mod it a bit.

Steve

Hey dude.....anyone who's done a carby turbo conversion has a OPINION.

The original question was...... is it worth it...... the answer in MY OPINION is no.

IN MY OPINION If you want to save some coin AND make it run well, stick with the original setup and mod it a bit.

Steve

fixed

..... fact is a electronic ignition setup is better in every aspect

weather its worth putting a better system in and what value you are willing to put on that is a opinion

opinions are not wrong or right there what a person thinks

wethier that person is educated enough to have a opinion that is both relevent to the question and valid to add to the rest of the opinions is something only the reader can determine

..... fact is a electronic ignition setup is better in every aspect

Amen.

As for saying a dizzy setup a particular way for 7psi will be sweet on 15psi or 3psi .... ummmm NO.

I would have thought that it is obvious that if you need 10btdc for 15psi then you are probably going to want 20btdc at 7psi and 30btdc at 3psi.

wethier that person is educated enough to have a opinion that is both relevent to the question and valid

You called? :-)

MS2 ignition is better than MS1 ignition because it is FAR more accurate. If you want to skimp and get ms1, do go edis because the spark accuracy is a lot better. With MS2 edis is redundant because the ignition is so good in the first place. given that you need to buy and import that edis system though... it just doesn't make sesnse. plus, no spark cut with edis which with a carb is REALLY important!! (can't have rev limiter without one)

And to those that say carbys suck for turbo... correct, but :

1) a GOOD carby guy could set it up sweet

2) if 1) then it will be OK.

3) with wideband he can monitor AFR and KNOW how good his carby guy is and/or see that he needs to change to efi asap.

wideband is essential on any modified/new setup anyway, and should be standard on any boosted car as a gauge.

As I see it, ms2 + v3.0 + ms2extra + lc1 or jaw = FTW :-)

Fred.

ps, it's funny that it's the same dudes arguing again :-) Good to see vvvvv on the ball this time :-)

Also, for those of you guys doing it now, if any have ms2 then ensure you buffer the outputs to ignitors etc with a transistor or something. use a 1.6k resistor from the processor port. If you are unlucky enough to have been shipped a vb921 in your kit, throw it away and get something better, they are utter junk. A 1.6k resistor will NOT drive the IGBT into saturation properly and lower values risk damage to the CPU. This is not the case with MS1. For ms1 you should use 330 ohm resistors to buffer the cpu output. ms1 pins can push 25ma each, ms2 pins are 25ma per 8 = 4ma each = 1.6k resistor inline.

Fred.

im always on the ball you just dont know it

most of the time, sure, but sometimes you let go of arguing for the right answer and instead argue against the arsehole that you don't like just for sport. It's those times that you aren't really "on the ball" :wink:

And I've built 2 carby turbo V8s (same car) that ran sweet, with dizzy,used as everyday driver for 11 years.

That's awesome forced :-)

"ran sweet" and "tuned right" are very different things though mate :-) My ute ran sweet, but to call it "tuned right" would be an utter and total lie, in fact, the half arsed 1 hour tune we gave it at 2am so that we could play with it is about as far from "tuned right" as any engine on EFI every has been! It's truly bloody awful!

Which carby turbo did you build fred?

I didn't, don't, won't, wouldn't, and wouldn't want to :-)

2 years ago I argued with zep and alfalfa about carb + boost, but they insisted that it would be sweet bro. Now he has a Link. For good reasons.

Still, provided you can watch the AFR and compensate for it with retard or advance where too rich or too lean, no worries short term.

Fred.

wouldnt you be better to put forward your opinon based on your experances with carbie turbo's

i mean thats what he asked

i dont see in the topic where it says ...i want a 1 G cornering everywhere gasbagg wanna be cunt with no experance with turbo carbie cars to give me an opinon

so give a informed opinon based on things you have done yourself or fuck off homo

Which carby turbo did you build fred?

I didn't, don't, won't, wouldn't, and wouldn't want to :-)

Fred.

oh snap you have no valid opinion

"ran sweet" is easily measured by MPG on the road.

Any car that is tuned "right" has good MPG.Longevity and drivability are also good measures, plenty of link EFId cars have bad drivability.

It is also easily measured by lap times. A 1.26 on Manfield isn't too bad for a road car with crap brakes and crap handling.

EFI is over rated, in fact the VERY best way to run a turbo car is with LPG but that's way over the top of most peoples heads because you don't even need a computer for it..

I could even explain why too but couldn't be bothered.

I must have missed that part on "the worlds fastest indian" where he tuned it with his wideband. Maybe I should watch it again.Maybe he just tuned it by checking the plugs?

Hey did you hear the joke about the Irishman who wanted to re invent the wheel.

He made a digital one, 8 bit.

It's fully programmable, far superior to the obsolete analogue one. It's got 8 flat spots and 8 corners every time it rotates although the bumps are programmable in size. They're smoothed out by fitting a tyre.

Version 2.1A is under development at the moment, it uses twice the microprocessor power and is 16 bit, still fully programmable and lots of features unavailable in the analogue wheel.Most of the features you'll never use nor will you ever think were possible.

Once everybody has upgraded there'll be version 3.2B which has 32 bit ability. Yes 32 flatspots and 32 corners......

Still not 100% perfect but getting closer to it.

Of course the digital wheel will interface perfectly with other digital wheels and can be used in things like gearboxes without the tyre of course ,unfortunately it's not all that good for interfacing with the road.

The main advantage is for the manufacturer as they can be made in China for 1 cent each on a slice of silicon wafer.

So what was wrong with the analogue wheel in the first place? probably just needed upgraded bearings and a bit more air in the tyre.

What? did I hear somebody say "arsehole"?

Steve

Dip shits one and two. Look at the title of the thread. He says ignition ECU, not dizzy.

Just look at the entire possible range of adjustability of a dizzy setup. Then look at the optimum shape of an ignition curve for ANY engine, let alone a boosted carby engine and you will quickly see that it is chalk and cheese. No personal hands on experience required! Just half a brain and a half decent attitude :wink:

Shame to see you aren't up to speed vvvv :wink:

EFI, over rated, HA HA HA LOL ROFL ROTFLMAO etc. forced, build me a 1000hp carby dizzy turbo 2.0 8 valve engine and get back to me on EFI being over rated :wink:

Ok enough you aint gonna agree so just leave it!

Back to the original questions

Has anyone done an ignition only ECU? not personally but a mate did got 18hp atw more on the dyno then with the stock mechanical curve. This was done on a dyno which give's actuall figures not just yeah mate she goes way better.

Is it worthwhile? yes it is I built my own carbi turbo setup a couple of years ago I just locked the dizzy and I was never 100% happy with that. If you use a megasquirt you will have the option to go EFI which I think you will. I have ditched the carbi turbo setup for EFI not because it was hard to tune or unreliable I actually had no probs with mine was awesome just not as good as EFI and thats an educated opinion I have built and driven both setups in the same car.

fishfialfred there are plenty of 1000 hp + analoge cars around

plenty of stock turbo dizzy cars as well

dizzys can have a boost driven retard

dizzys can have a vacume advance and a mechanical rev based one as well and that can be done in multistage if need be

the problem with mechanical is that ..its complex and most people cannot get the head around tuning it, its a dieing art

it takes a specal kind of person to do it

so for most its far easier to go electronic, because well they dont have those skills

electronic is piss eazy anyone can do it with a 10 min lesson and there is no skill in it AT ALL

you recomend the ecu controled stuff because its what you know , you dont know understand and have had nothing to do with dizzys . you have knowlage but you have very little skill

forced recomends dizzy because .. well he knows it takes skill .... somthing that most people lack .primeraly because hes a cunt

im saying its all a opinion and that the person asking the quest needs to look at how skillfull he is or the people that support him are

that will be the desider on what is easier and what best suits hiim

so fishfail fred ... your wrong \... as always i am on ball ..... and i think i just stuffed it up your arse

be usefull or fuck up

no more pointless i wish my cock was as big as your shit