cambelt snapped!

WildPlumDx

yesterday i get a call from my sister and she says my carz died come help me, great last thing i wanna hear! anyways turn up there couldnt really do much called the aa dude turns up and straight away he said it was the cambelt anyways got it home and he was right its gone, engines a 4g92 sohc 1500 or 1600 so i might get lucky he said as the twin cams dont get so lucky, thing is the car still turned over doesnt make any horrid noises, does anyone know if this engine has valve clearance ? i guess it just snapped at the right time, anyways i dont think its one of those things you really know till you pull the head off or hook up a new cam belt and try turn it over by hand first, guess i'll find out soon enough

it would have most likely put dents in the piston but that's about it. It's not often valves punch through pistons on Mitsubishi motors when the cambelt snaps, just usually half the valves get bent. I replaced a head on a mates 4G67 DOHC when the cambelt snapped, only slight dents on the pistons but 8 valves bent enough so they wouldn't close. It seems they are interference, but not quite extreme on the interference scale if that makes sense.

easy way , put another belt on and turn over ... itll either not work or start have have somehorrible huffing noisies

the odds of snapping another belt at turn over speeds is just about non existant as the valves will abosorb the impact before the belt does (which will be fucked anyhow) .

i know this .. cos i forgot to tighten the tensioner on a hiace 2l and it went really well till i revved it to 5 k then shut if off.

4G92 wont have a balance shaft belt as they don't have balance shafts.

and yeah Dellorto I've seen that 4G63 before, I was going to say I've seen a messy 4G63 cambelt breakage but that is just an extreme case. 9/10 times you can get away with another head or replace the valves.

I have a manual for the 4G92 engine on my computer, let me know your e-mail address and I'll send it through.

and yeah Dellorto I've seen that 4G63 before, I was going to say I've seen a messy 4G63 cambelt breakage but that is just an extreme case. 9/10 times you can get away with another head or replace the valves.

Nah, that was from one of my customers workshops. I dunno if the 92's are as bad, but I've seen maybe 40% of 63's do that when a belt breaks.