5 speed for a 4g32

Guest ganja_gorrilla

Guest ganja_gorrilla

i have a 72 galant colt 16L with a 4g32 and 4 speed gear box i really want to upgrade to a 5 speed does any one know wat kind will bolt straightup?

Guest ganja_gorrilla

yea with the petrol prices im keen to leave the engine as a 4g32 plus its just been rebuilt. would a 5 speed from a '83 sigma fit right in without any problems?

If you leave original engine in place, shifter will be about 120mm further back with the longer sigma 5spd box (can cause problems with the handbrake area. L200 ones are langer than standard 4spd box but have shifter further forward than the sigma ones.

Otherwise try and get an old GTO 5spd gearbox and driveshaft. I think they will both bolt straight up from memory for easy conversion. Can't remember if clutch is the same between the 16L and GTO though.

Get a Sigma box, and swap the "rear extention housing"

over from a L200, this will bring the shifter back to the same place

as the Ex :wink:

assuming the colt has the same shifter distance as lancer

but yea l200 box will be your best bet of it being in the right place

Guest ganja_gorrilla

so l200 will fit in but shifrter will be a bit further back will drive shaft need to be shortend? im so confused

so l200 will fit in but shifrter will be a bit further back will drive shaft need to be shortend? im so confused

L200 will fit and the shifter will be in the right spot or close to the right spot.

Sigma will fit but the shifter will be further back.

random how sum ppl hav to shorten driveshafts,others dont have too even doin the same conversions.

yea its fucked up

my vr4 engine and hilux diff both which i would assume would be longer than my stock ex stuff, and i needed to lengthen my driveshaft!

l200 box will be ur best bet mate

then i assume a 5 speed gbox xmember for a colt or maybe a lancer like caboons model or even a ex 5 speed one