Star of orions + Sirius DASH

0R10N

Any of you boes well-versed in JDM Mitsi specs? I is trying to figure out which models came out with teh Sirius DASH engine fitted as standard, as opposed to the filthy SOHC version, but accurate information is proving hard to find.

a guy I know in japan is gonna send me one of the original sales brochures for the 1984 model year which has DASH info in it, so one would assume any Jap spec Starion made after 1984 would have that engine. but so far I've read all these conflicting statements on teh interwebbles saying that it was a) only an option for one specific model year, B) only sold in a specific trim type (GSR-V?), or c) only the widebody Jap Starions had them (which sounds like an outright lie)

browsing the yards doesn't yield much of a pattern either, as most cars don't have engine bay shots, and the ones that do are all G63B SOHC or astron powered.

yeah, I'm still thinking about improting one if I don't find a bananarama.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude DASH is SOHC also.

I don't know 100% but the GSR-V from 1985 onwards is DASH powered, am pretty sure widebody never got DASH engine.

There's a guy in ChCh who has a DASH GSR-V, is on forums as FST4RD.

I had a DASH 3x2 in my '87 Sigma GSR-X, ran 13ish psi factory but that's pretty much all I knew of it, by the time it was long gone I found out what it was..

The place to ask is forums.austarion.com

but as far as I know there were like 50 (only) JDM widebodies with them (the ultimate starion, worth big $$$), the Australian JD spec had them and there were only a few hundred of those. As for JDM narrow bodies, sorry I don't know but someone on austarion would know (including FST4D or possibly Prozac).

sorry, instead of "SOHC G63B" I should've said "8 valve G63B"

all this conflicting info gives me a headache. Although this line here

I don't know 100% but the GSR-V from 1985 onwards is DASH powered, am pretty sure widebody never got DASH engine.

corresponds with the catalogue my mate in Japan is sending over... it was released in sept 1984 for the 1985 model year, is the first one to contain any info on the DASH engine, and he says it has listings for the "2.0GSR-V/GSR-Ⅲ/GSR-Ⅱ" models.

so hmmmmm :doubt: maybe I'll just wait for that to arrive first.

Done some searching for you

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... dash+motor

Spec sheet for various japenese models

http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au/images/specsheet2.jpg

Widebodies with Dash motor

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... dash+motor

Looks like I might be wrong on JD's having a dash head.

Those Australians don't even know the difference between Sirius and Cyclone - they think they are two entirely different engine makers.. Sirius is the series of engine (4G6x) while Cyclone is a label which was liberally applied to many Mitsi motors, and the true Cyclone manifold was only on the E39A VR-4 which had 8 runners which butterflies - a copy of Toyotas TVIS really.

All DASH engines were intercooled, not sure what turbo the RWD ones had but the FWD ones had TD05-12 turbos.

the only ones i've seen over the years are in the GSR-III starion's with fact front mount etc... and the eterna's? ones with the flat rear guards, had a mate with one years ago with a tdo5h on it and it went nuts, seemed to have lots of trouble with blance shafts tho

seen so many of them go to scrap metal at the wreaking yard i used to work at, which was why we used to get them cheap for mates eterna or was it a galant? so long ago i cant remember

useless info... sorry

From what i've figured, the *most likely* model to have a dash motor is the GSR V, from 85 onwards. This being said, i used to own an 85 GSR V, and it was 8 valve and 4 stud. If you see a GSR V, and its 5 stud, its more then likely a dash model, ive spied a few down here.

I'm also sure i read a few years ago on the austaz board that there is the odd non-intercooled dash motor knocking around, one of the blokes on there building a race car with a 12 valve was telling me about it. They also came in some super rare japper cordias.

The problem with the wonderful jap import Starion (apart from shitty leaking steering boxes), is that the trim levels mean pretty much dick all. Ive seen GSR 2's and 3's with and without intercoolers. Ive seen GSR 3's and 5's 10's with and without the dash engine and intercoolers. Ive seen cloth, vinyl and leather in all of them aswell... Dont even start on LSD's... They're all over the show. 5 stud here, 4 stud there... heh :). Basically, consider eveything an option, if it was ticked at the factory, the car has it. NZ new models are usually far more consistant.

Cept GSR 1's, they're just plain awesome, slimmed down racer ftw!

cheers for the info so far guys. found a couple more brochures kicking round on YAJ, both have the GSR-V model after 1984 listed with the intercooled DASH turbo engine standard.

so I guess that + what you fullas have said clears up more of the mystery.

200PS and 28.5kg-m of torque from a SOHC 12v isn't bad considering the last of the FJ20ETs had 205PS but only 25.0kg-m.

b48155-img517x600-1196762826039.jpg

b48155-img517x600-1196762847040.jpg

Guest Armourking

i sold fstfrd his grsv they are 200hp factory and run a very early form of vtec it switches the extra exhaust valves in, a very thirsty motor if i must say,

oh i miss my starion

It's the intake valves DASH controls, and yeah it is a primitive form of variable valve control. It still had the really primitive throttle-body injection too.

FST4RD says his only ran 8psi standard, while my GSR-X ran 13psi standard, maybe that's the difference between the 149kW and 170kW models?

^^ yer photos would be cool if you/Prozac/whoever had any to share. Would help with the research (plus I just like having cool photos kicking around, it's good inspiration)

a very thirsty motor if i must say

hehe, I'd imagine so. probably not as bad as a 12A turbo RX-7 - 6km/litre "normal" driving from one of those is complete balls. But hey whatever I go for won't be a daily driver so what the hell.

rogl, I was waiting for testament to come in here and spam "bananas". I'm glad he did, otherwise I'd have been totally disappointed :lol:

eheh man, ky you is a hater :P

srsly though, I drove a TX3 every day for the better part of four years (probably one of the most hated types of cars in the 'scene', apart from hondas). As a result I am now immune to teh opinions of others - if you don't like it, too bad because I do :lol:

The likelihood of a starion being my next purchase from Japan is pretty slim at this point, both due to a) not being able to find a GSR-V/DASH powered one, and B) RX-7 still takes priority anyway

if anyone cares this is the list of cars I eventually hope to own

Nissan DR30 Skyline: done and done

Toyota AW11 MR2: done - although I would prefer a supercharged non T-top one

Ford BFMRF Laser TX3: done (+1 track car)

Mazda SA22C RX-7: hmm... yes please

Mitsubishi A183A Starion: hmmmm...

Honda SB1 Civic RS: :D

Toyota MA63 Celica XX: OMG YUCK WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT