Help!, Power loss, now wont start....

CUL8R

So yah was fanging my 1973 Mercedes 230 (auto twin zenith carb) in the 50 lapper down here, was going well, really well infact, then about 10 laps in starts to lose power, dropped back to 1st, and lost power, then died completly on me.

Wont fire up now, should still be heaps of gas left in it.

Towed back to where Im sorta storing it, tried to start it, turns over (perhaps slower than usual, but hard to tell) Sprayed start ya bastard down , still nothing. Sounds like its pushing air out when its cranking, but not from the inlet or exhaust that I can see....

Yes its be a damn long day, Im sleep deprived, ran out of fuel this morning, then had all the studs in brothers 1 tonner break, and I had to fix his derby car, and then turn around with the mad rush and get mine done.

Was smoking for awhile after I'd stopped, probably a good 10mins of wisps of smoke, unsure from where by the time I was allowed out of the car, it'd stopped the wisps of smoke..

Any ideas? Probably something blatantly obvious, but in my current state no alot of computing is going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,Chris

Should be getting both still havent had time to check, Dizzy is complete, has been knocked about, likewise the coil, sprayed start ya bastard shit down anyway and still didnt go, so I think its something else... its making puffing sounds

i'd be checkin spark brother could of been losing power due to coil breaking down then droppin completely dead hence why it stopped

Just a theory but I'd start there easy to check pull the lead our the dizzy & get someone who knows nothing about cars to hold it while you wind it over . If they jump 20 feet in the air its fine & not your problem but it'll be funny as fuk to watch :lol::lol:

I'd go along with the 'something's melted' theory. Let's hope it's the coil, not pistons (:

A man would be hard pressed to melt one of those engines :) They didn't lose the war for under engineering anything!

Anyways - check for spark when you can and report back. If you have spark there is a fuel return valve at the front bottom of the front carb that can give issues and the other two culprits are the pressure modulation diaphram on the auto allowing ATF into the carbs or the brake booster/master cylinder going crook and allowing brake fluid into the ntake manifold.

The Zeniths are a total bitch to set up right. True story. there is only one man on this planet that I will let touch them and he is 84 years old now.

maybe u have bent some valves and u cant get compression

Surely that'd make a hell of a noise when turning over? Wouldnt it?

Unfortunately not. A slight bang and they just won't seal too well, and you hear it puffing a bit, and it spins over one cylinder faster than the rest when cranking...

Mind you, something catastrophic has to happen to bend them in the first place, like the cam belt jumping, or snapping. I've only done that twice... unfortunately on an Integrale and a Maserati :(:(:(

Cheers for the heads up guys,

Will check back here asap with updates.

Starter motor has more of a whine now, like a starter motor does when it doesnt engaged, cept its definitly turning the engine over.

Possibly looking at getting Damaged 250 Diesel as another now also...

Cheers,Chris

As Above, should've mentioned, the 'puffing' I vaguely described is when Im cranking it over, I can hear Air escaping/getting pushed out , and I dont it think its from the Inlet or Exhaust manifolds... :oops::?:shock:

Hopefully check the bitch out Sometime this week, got till the 24th to get it going or get another car...

Cheers,Chris

Good luck Mang. The earlier cars never had fuel filters and the tanks are really bad for rusting up.

If it wasn't getting fuel I would have expected the Engine Start to have made it fire though.

If you do pull the motor out getting the throttle linkage off is a shit of a job. Rubber grease and a ball joint seperator fork is the best way I have found so far - but others probably have a better trick

a96dfh9.jpg

Looks like you've got the same carbs (abeit slightly cleaner), but I dont think my manifold is the same, could be, I know the throttle linkage is...

Timing is by chain? does it have any sort of tensioner , either another sprocket or by plastic grooved block etc? Hmm will have to whip rocker cover off, and get to TDC and check cam....

You'll be able to tell me, is there any marks on the crank pully and cam for where TDC should be (top dead center) Will save me time when working on it...

Cheers,Chris

Looks like you've got the same carbs (abeit slightly cleaner), but I dont think my manifold is the same, could be, I know the throttle linkage is...

Timing is by chain? does it have any sort of tensioner , either another sprocket or by plastic grooved block etc? Hmm will have to whip rocker cover off, and get to TDC and check cam....

You'll be able to tell me, is there any marks on the crank pully and cam for where TDC should be (top dead center) Will save me time when working on it...

Cheers,Chris

Timing is by chain. The tensioners are a strange hydraulic arrangement.

See if it has spark and fuel before pulling anything apart

• 2 weeks later...