Mint69 mk2 tina

Gaz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it done with a few show cars and thought it looked real nice myself, I know most people would disagree but its different and at the end of the day its a mk2 cortina so regardless the colour its gota be a good thing ae. Just looking foward to getting out in it and cruisin. Yeah its spray can Tropicana green which ive gone through about 5 or 6 cans, you can get it from Repco,its a Dupli colour paint.Cheers good to hear feedback about it.

I was thinking about sending the Cam away to Kelfords in Christchurch as i've heard they do a good job also. Yea just masked the handle and the centre bit and painted a few coats on then clear coated it so it wont rub off after time.

• 1 month later...

An update- Car has been at the panel beaters for a few weeks now, have lots of photo's to upload as I've been helping sand it and do some of the work myself but havent had time to upload the photo's yet. I plan to get the guards rolled soon as I am getting some 205 50 R13 tyres to go on my 13x7 hotwires. Was thinking about the Yokohama radial 352 but seen them on hotwires and went off them, going for the Federal ones instead. Have taken the gearbox off the engine and it needs a new clutch kit and a few minor things but will get the full reco with new seals gaskets etc. Seems STA parts in Auckland is a very low cost option and have most of the stuff for the 1600 x-flow engine. One door needed replacing as it had a rust hole in the pillar but the joys of having a parts car is for that reason so the other one has been stripped and I took a rear cut of the Blue one as Im going to get it turned into a couch. Will post photo's soon hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

here's some more pics of the car. Has had 95% of all the rust holes removed around the boot where the seal goes and throughout the car. Minor things to do like change over the automatic to manual brackets in the engine bay and then primer the car in 2k. then its off to paint. Found the hole in the fire wall when i was strippng it out and the photo was taken after the hole was tapped in a bit. Looks as if a peice of something flew up under the guard and went striaght through. A good reason not to run over crap on the road. the hole is welded up now and at the moment my dash is being adjusted to house a triple 2 inch gague pod so shold have some photo's to post shortly of that. Feel free to leave any comments.

cortinasill.jpg

CortinaEnginebaybeforeprime.jpg

Cortinaenginebay2.jpg

Cortinaenginebay.jpg

Cortinaholeinfirewall-1.jpg

Cortinainterior-1.jpg

CortinaHoleinfirewall.jpg

Wow she is very bright indeed. Looking good tho.

Just to follow up on the cam story from above.

I was taling Snow from KiwiCams in Palmy... def go there..

Ive just been mega fucked round by Kelford..nowhere near as professional as I would have expected.. First they lost my cam....! then told me it was sent when I have suspision it was still in the shop untouched.. Took me 2.5 extra weeks over the date I had asked them to have it finished by... had given them ample time to complete and I feel they did not try one bit even to look at it before the date I wanted it back... Fucked off here indeed, slowed my build down by 2.5 weeks!!!

Anyways rant over there..

Have a look at my project thread.. I mounted those seats I brought off ya in my mk2. Looking good. Dont know if I took the best piucs of them tho.

yours is comin along nicely. Havnt gone all out like that myself. Just want to get it lookin tidy and going well to start with then i might do a few upgrades. Iv'e already had my cam sent away to kelfords and with sending it up i got it back within 2 weeks. Had the followers done aswell. I got it sent up through my dads work which is a mechanics so that may have sped up the process. Cost just under 200 for the lot. I was going to go for the 205 r13's for the cortina but might just go for the 185's instead. the ones i have now are 185 and they look nice on the hotwires. that's about it for now. will be putting the sterring box back in it tonight as we ditched the auto one and all the old junk.

yours is comin along nicely. Havnt gone all out like that myself. Just want to get it lookin tidy and going well to start with then i might do a few upgrades. Iv'e already had my cam sent away to kelfords and with sending it up i got it back within 2 weeks. Had the followers done aswell. I got it sent up through my dads work which is a mechanics so that may have sped up the process. Cost just under 200 for the lot. I was going to go for the 205 r13's for the cortina but might just go for the 185's instead. the ones i have now are 185 and they look nice on the hotwires. that's about it for now. will be putting the sterring box back in it tonight as we ditched the auto one and all the old junk.

Oh real was that $200 for two cams?

I paid $230 (no discount) for one cam tidied and lifters/followers refaced ro suit. BUT.... they took about 6 weeks!!!!

Lol whats so hard out bout mine lol, was trying to keep it looking as classic and period as I could. lol. Going for a suttle as paint, white respray with a gold RS/GTE type stripe down the side to match the rims. Thats a wee way off tho. Whens yours getting a lick of paoint on exterior?

It was $185 exact i think for one cam and the followers to be re faced. I took just under 2 weeks for the lot. Just the work you've done to yours and the plans you have. Mines more of a panel and paint with a tidy up along the way. Im just getting it up to wof standard at the mo and may plan do a few big mods. Hoping to get it done in the school holidays. im busy sanding the car down and it seems a repititive stage but its all worth it.

• 2 months later...